Will Hubitat ever release a "performance" edition?

Doesn't matter. You already said it was a niche market and not worth it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am new to HE (from ST), and i am disapointed with my HE experance to date. Ive keept a look out at HE wating for it to become more mainstream, but then at christmas ST cloud issues and the retiring of the old app pushed me to take the jump.

Yes the user interface is a bit clunky, but i can live with it. The only issue i have is z-wave locking,the fact that (as its local?) i cant monitor my own hub preformance to identfy issues/trouble shoot is realy frustrating.

Im looking for something rock solid that can run my 30 or so devices (on one hub) reliably.

And... how long has chromecaast been in beta???

what other hub fits that build/requirement ?

Indeed. If HE were to address the hub slow downs/DB corruptions it would make the Hubs run as fast as new out of the box - with ample performance to spare, which would make the case for a "pro" version somewhat moot . . .

4 Likes

But we are pushing half a year with these problems.

With respect to hub slowdowns: We have said this before, but we think there is a resource leak, and one that is not easy to find. We have found and corrected one, and are testing another. These will be fixed. We wish it were as simple as most bugs are to find, but it has been very elusive. In most cases, setting up a daily reboot of the hub will completely mitigate this issue. We don't offer this a the solution, simply an observation of what seems to work -- for now, until we find and correct the root cause.

This issue has nothing whatsoever to do with the performance of the hardware. This is a software bug. Run the platform on stronger hardware, it would still exist, but perhaps the hub would run longer before the slowdown became noticeable. Still, not an argument for a higher performance hub.

16 Likes

For me, what a PRO version I'd be willing to buy is about;

1. Wifi Chip onboard
  2. Bigger, Better, Stronger Z-Wave and Zigbee Antennas

For performance, I would hate to see a "more performant" version of this box as then all Community performance related issues (and god forbid, support's answers as well) would be about recommending upgrading to said box instead of actual root cause analysis of issues.

I fundamentally believe that a lot of performance/stability issues could (and hopefully will) be addressed at the software level of Hubitat.

1 Like

I hate to put this out there.

I’ve moved all my automation off the hub and only using it as a gateway to my devices for now.

The speed of motion lighting has gone from 350ms to 70ms. And so far I haven’t needed to reboot the hub, but I do have a schedule to do it once a week in case of slow downs.

Hubitat has more to offer and works with more then what I’m using.

I hope the issues are resolved soon.

3 Likes

Mine is rock solid and I've never had to reboot, but out of curiosity where are you doing you automatons now?

2 Likes

HomeSeer, but the poor cloud integration, lack of zigbee support is killing me.

This effectively means that the problem is not within the slow serial Z-devices, at least in your case.

I also have slowdowns or regular crashes where the hub is unresponsive when hammering it with non Z-device traffic/events from LAN or cloud.

As an experiment I wrote a simple script on my computer that made 10 request per second to the hub for about 12 hours. The request where made to a non-existing page aka 404. Of course during the “D-DOS” attack the hub where non-responsive but even afterwards it was really sluggish and about 24 hours later the hub crashed totally. For any one interested it’s a C4 hub European version.

The main two critical features a "performance hub" or I'd be fine in adopting into the standard hub should have are:

1. Wifi capability - Numerous times it is stated certain devices need to be "paired next to the hub" yet the hub's location is generally fixed to only the limitations of your router/switch location and length of a LAN cable (with power nearby).

2. Battery Backup - Being that the database is so fragile to corruption, and that abrupt power cycling the hub is known to cause database corruption, there should be a preventative measure included.

Vera does this with their "top end" model VeraSecure, it has wifi and a battery that will run the hub for 4 hours when the power is disconnected.

Stable hub
Wif and bluetooth
With backup power

I only have the following, and the rest are Lutron devices.

12 - Zwave Devices
25 - Zigbee Devices

Originally, I was getting motions delays of up to 700ms. I ended up re-doing everything using the built in applications where I could. Zone Motion, Motion Lighting, etc. This brought my speeds down to what seems comparable to everyone else. 350ms.

However, after two days of running I was finding the web interface becoming sluggish and my delays pushing up to 500ms at times. So I setup an auto reboot every day at 5am.

Just recently in the last week I converted all my automation over to Homeseer 4. (Still under beta, but running very well)

So what do you use hub for?

To communicate with zwave(optional), zigbee devices and Alexa.

This is a great list..

Two things I could add... A Z-Wave live log, similar to the Zigbee log and the use of webssockets in the Dashboard so it updates quicker without needing to poll. This would also eliminate the requirement (for larger systems) for selecting specific devices on a dashboard without incurring a performance penalty.

We just passed 120 SuperMicro based servers in my data center. :smiley:

7 Likes

This is already done today for local dashboards, remote dashboards poll as you don't have access to that websocket (firewall/router). The impact in regard to "specific devices / all devices" comes with loading the dashboard, not updating it

1 Like

So once its loaded not a problem? But support says don't do it???

Not that I have seen. But that is just me

Best practice is to just select what you need.