Will Hubitat ever release a "performance" edition?

Oh well in that comparison then home automation is infantile and questionable if even conceived yet :smile:

1 Like

What would you even automate with those devices?

I'm an ex-sysadmin and -like some profess in this thread- I don't want to support anything at home ...or at least minimize it. I went zigbee because zwave seemed to require more management. I have purposely kept the code as "flat" as possible (having had to modify my own 'elegant' code some years after I wrote it). Instead of a pro version, with a limited market, I'd like to see a dumbed-down Starter Kit version that offered RM2.5 and specified a list of tried-and-true devices that a beginner could choose for a simple project.

I'm happy with the current price point. I'd buy 4 HE Starters now for my extended family to provide some simple HA, but none of them are ready|willing|able to tackle RM4.

2 Likes

Write some basic apps for them that will do the basic stuff they need (after a full requirements capture of course :slight_smile:)
You don’t actually need RM
I don’t have it installed on any of my hubs

I'm more interested in them looking into their manufacturing partners quality control than a performance edition. We already know for a fact that the QC on the adapers/cables is crap based on how many people have to get a different adapter/cable when they receive their hub.

I was one of them and let me just say it does not instill confidence in the hardware. In fact I almost returned my hub on the spot. Glad I didnt because I love HE, but I wonder if the people with random slowdowns (not running custom code or having a bunch of chatty devices etc) are due to poor quality control on the hardware.

I'm curious - how many people have to get a new adapter cable?

You made the suggestion here, but AFAICT, @fightingmajor got his HE started using a different power adaptor, not a new cable.

I'm curious... how many actually use the one included? I have so many of these cables and power outlets I don't know what came with what.

4 Likes

Good point.

1 Like

No clue but i have seen it brought up several times in the month I've been on the forums as an issue from a new user, and there was a post where someone said switching out the power adapter solved the random problems they had been having with their hub.

I know from past experiences with manufacturers that if you have anything that could indicate a potential quality control issue you should look into it immediately. As few of these devices as we believe they have sold (I've seen people estimate as low as 2k total units sold and others as high as 5k) just having 3-5 units with the same problem would warrant looking into things as who knows what other faults have slipped by QC and just not been noticed yet.

I would hate to see a product we all love die off because the manufacturing partner took a shortcut or two and the HE guys didn't realize it. (No clue how much past experience any of the HE team have in these areas)

Yeah - I did search for that, but I couldn't find it. I know of four posts about dead C-5 power supplies over the last year, and I've seen one other post where the USB cable may have been bad.

I didnt search just reading, and anything more than 2 is several when dealing with such a small number of these devices, and more than enough to indicate a potential issue on the supply side.

And anyone who has any experience with customer reporting will tell you for every 1 person to report on a problem there are at least 10 more that don't. And when dealing with a product like this I would imagine 90% of users did what you would have and I did, just threw another power supply at it and never said a word.

I made that suggestion because I had a bad power cable with mine, the adapter was fine, and I imagine very few ever checked the cable, likely just used and entirely different supply and cable. I was curious if his issue was actually the supply or cable.

Im not understanding the hostility I am perceiving from you (perhaps its just me or the way things come across in text without inflections) BUT I literally want to help ensure that HE is a great product and is around for years to come, I'm not bashing it or the devs, In fact just trying to provide a viewpoint they may not have thought about if no one on their team has experiences with manufacturers and dealing with QC issues.

EDIT: curious about the cable/adapter because it is possible the slowdowns and other issues some report on the C-5's are down to faulty adapters or cables possibly causing some hardware damage no one even realizes.

Original post was supposed to say get a new adapter/cable but i put a space instead of /

I think this is the answer...

Because I know for myself this typing stuff rarely sounds like the ME I'd like to present. It's especially evident when I read a post of mine from months or even a year ago.. I'll see a Like and click.. oh my... initially I read my own words and are shocked.. a few seconds later I have regained the context and my words 'feel' better, but that first re-read is quite a shock.. sometimes.

And while there ARE people that will speak with hostility, @aaiyar isn't one of them, in my opinion.

I had a co-worker that would say.. finding common ground sure seems like arguing most of the time.. and why not, we know how to argue.. and as long as there's no personal attacks, it may well be the most efficient method of finding common ground. "Debate" is a better word, but Political Candidates have ruined that word. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I don’t think any hostility was intended. Just worth keeping in mind that we, as the customers, have a very incomplete picture from which to try to identify trends and recommend a course of action to the staff.

Trust me - no hostility intended. I'm genuinely curious - are there a large number of purchasers whose power cables were bad? I don't know the answer either way.

The thing I'm fairly certain about is that it's unlikely that differences in the manufacturing of individual units underlie hub slowdowns.

Edit - in my day job, I do loads of parametric and non-parametric stats, by way of explanation for my thinking.

3 Likes

True but many of us likely have far more experience in select areas than the members of staff, and they seem very receptive to suggestion and learning from and applying others knowledge.

I haven't been around here long, but I have a lifetime of experience in dealing with supply chains, manufacturers and QC, both locally and internationally. So I may be more likely to spot patterns or issues in those ares that the staff may miss or not even be aware of.

Lacking a complete picture about something should never prevent or discourage one from trying to help someone or improve something. If we had a complete picture all the solutions would be obvious and wed have nothing to discuss :wink:

I understand you didnt mean any hostility. These forums tend to come across to newer users as though anything we have to add other than reporting a problem, asking for help, or helping another newbie is worthless and we should just stay silent, regardless of how much relevant experience we may have with things outside of the HE universe.

My thinking comes from years of dealing with manufacturers and supply chains...

Example a POS supplier had a seemingly random selection of registers experiencing all sorts of different issues.

After 3 months and replacing over 200 units it was discovered that due to a QC mix up a lower quality regulator was used in the power supplies for the systems. In many cases it didn't cause any problems, But in some circumstances, believed to be due to either interference of heat due to the location or business type, the systems were having minor power fluctuations leading to a slew of issues from lags to network issues and random BSOD's

There was another case where the data cable for a PDA was missing a resistor. I'm sure you can imagine the types of issues that caused.

Shoot right now there are a TON of "USB-C" cables out there in stores on amazon etc, than aren't certified, aren't wired properly, aren't resisted properly for backwards compatability, and are frying out and causing other problems with peoples devices.

If you didn't know about the cable danger you'd blame the device you used it with for the issue, most would never suspect a simple cable to be capable of causing so many different issues.

2 Likes

True and I’m continually impressed by the knowledge and backgrounds on display among community members :slightly_smiling_face:. I’m just suggesting, respectfully, that it’s premature to conclude anything really, because

3 Likes

No one has concluded anything, if they had the issue would be solved

Im making a suggestion and defending it and likely gaining the reputation of an ■■■ because its just being dismissed offhand by those lacking my experiences in the field.

20 years in the supply and QC chain, many of it dealing with electronics, tells me that just the number of problems I have seen reported IS enough to warrant checking in on the QC of the supply chain and that it could in fact be part of the issues some are facing.

Not saying it is, but its a lot easier to eliminate a potential QC issue as the problem by contacting the factory or supply partner than it is to try and eliminate everything else that could be the issue across different revisions and with the slew of different devices and network and hub configs out there.

I have literally seen issues that are identical (be it on different os/platform) to the ones some users are experiencing with their hubs come down to being caused by bad cables, adapters, or a bad chip being used due to poor QC checks by ONE QC agent. That means you can just have 1 device out of 1000 come out bad and with seemingly random issues, but its more than enough to cause a company PR nightmares or potential lawsuits.

But this is a good example of how the forums can be off putting to new users. Potentially meaning one less person out there raving about how great HE is, and instead another person pushing people to HA, Wing, ST, QCQ etc.

I know it wasn't intended this way, but to a new user my attempt to share my knowledge and experiences to help improve the platform were just dismissed outright, if not questioned or seemingly attacked on the semantics of my wording in the initial post.

Then after explaining myself more and clarifying to clear up any confusions as to why i think a QC check is needed I was basically told respectfully to keep my thoughts/suggestions/opinions to myself because its not possible for me to conclude anything.

Worst case scenario QC is great and nothing is wrong there and i wasted my time pushing this path and the devs waste 30 seconds telling me its not QC or 5 minutes of their time emailing with their supplier to ask for a double check on the parts and QA numbers used to make the product.
Best case scenario they discover a fault with a part used and we can get everyone affected running great through a software work around or fix or with replacement hardware.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to seem unwelcoming, so for that I’m sorry. Thank you for your input, I remain uncertain whether a smattering of reports in the online community means anything but I certainly don’t have a background in quality control and TBH I don’t even like statistics that much :nerd_face:. Hopefully it’s something that indeed requires either 30 seconds or five minutes to resolve!

@marktheknife

No worries! I no you didn't intend it that way at all!

Thats why I brought it up.

Being new and not one of the regulars yet I have noticed a bit of push back when anyone who is new to HE tries to contribute, and I don't think it is intentional at all from anyone, but a natural result of forming an active and friendly tight nit community online.

I see it all the time in FB support groups. Someone new joins and wants to contribute and being a stranger to the group the community at large ignores or dismisses anything they say because they haven't been around long enough to know whats up.

Its really hard to prevent, and the best of us do it without even knowing it.

Something we all need to keep in mind when replying to others, especially on such a mixed forum where you have everything from system admins and programmers, to normal users with no clue about the underlying tech, you never know what the new guy or gal actually knows or how they can contribute.

P.S. I love the community here and want to see it grow and flourish!

3 Likes

Wow.
These last post took som effort and drained a bit of energy to get through. But I had to se the ending of it. Not many of these here on the forum, thankfully. :slight_smile:

Impressed that you all managed to keep in line and show each other respect and be «kinda» happy in the end.
Impressed! :hugs:
Would I manage that? Hehe
Had to comment, though...Hahaha :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
RogerThat

2 Likes