Will HE provide native integration with Google Nest Devices via commercial Google Device Access API?

Is it actually available?

The article still says:

Device Access is a new program launching soon...

Do you have other info that indicates the program is actually open?

The link also states “Device Access for commercial developers (app developers, device manufacturers, and platforms) will be available in early 2020 to qualified partners.”

I could be wrong, but until you see an actual date in that article, and that statement about opening soon is removed, I don't think that article indicates that the program is actually open right now.

4 Likes

@tonesto7 had a really great Nest integration and google pulled the plug on the Nest developer program. AFAIK, this is still a bunch of bs. (And why I’ll never buy another Google device)

1 Like

This is why the post addresses HE staff. They are the ones who would know whether the program is available to them as commercial developers and whether they are or intend to participate. I nonetheless softened the language a bit regarding whether the API is actually available.

1 Like

In previous posts they’ve said they’re are watching google closely. I would guess that if the security audit isn’t to much of a burden they will have an integration. Otherwise I’d be shocked if a user didn’t build something.

1 Like

I was unable to locate any such posts. Perhaps you could point us to the most recent posting of which you are aware? If it's been a while, it would sure be nice to get an update.

Hubitat at one point was working a new integration. If I recall they had @mike.maxwell jumping through hoops and then nothing from google.

If I were a betting man I would guess this is low on priority list as it is a cloud integration. I would love to be proved wrong though.

2 Likes

We worked w/Google on multiple initiatives at my old company...they were incredibly difficult to work with, mostly "my way or the highway" approach on their part. My company was a fortune 50 company, not small potatoes. Their actions resulted in us having to abandon initiatives mid-stream, as Google reversed direction, stopped what they initially said were "priorities" etc. And we had contact w/them at very high executive levels. I can't imagine what it must be like for small companies like HE to try to deal w/Google...

2 Likes

My personal conspiracy theory about Google is that they have interns writing all these cool apps, projects, and tools. Then once that intern moves on, Google just basically abandons things.

It is very apparent that Google has no long term vision for some of these projects if you look at the Google Graveyard, Wikipedia, and numerous other similar sites that catalog these dead projects.

2 Likes

yeah, this...

3 Likes

Yup - they spend a lot of time Storming and frequently never get beyond that, while sometimes making you think that they have.

Google: "Hey, look, I built this bridge for you. Come on over!"
Us: "Sure, it looks great, thanks!"
Google: "Oh, never mind, we're going to build a different bridge over there. Sorry."
Us: "Aiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...." [Splat]

They are the Roadrunner. We are the Coyote.

2 Likes

Should I read into this that native integration is not currently on the HE roadmap? When Google releases API access to individuals in "late 2020", it would be nice for developers to have some sense as to whether it would be worthwhile to build a community integration.

Of course, if Google hasn't actually done what their website suggests (that they have already made security requirements and API access visible to commercial developers), it would understandably be premature to address this.

I was specifically referring to the CF that was/is Actions On Google's local API.

But in direct answer to your question, we currently do not have a Nest Integration via the mentioned API on our roadmap.

1 Like

Trans: Go community developers, go!

1 Like

Thanks for insight into that! From the sounds of it, community development may prove more robust to Google's course changes, especially since individuals won't have to comply with their security requirements.

This seems to fit. Just like with Google Fiber. They were supposed to be rolling that out here a few years ago, but put those plans on hold when they were about 1-2 miles from my house. Luckily AT&T ran fiber through my neighborhood around the same time, or I would still be on Spectrum :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Took me a minute :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

I'm still trying to get the image out of my head...bunch of pudgy Google employees... :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.