Wifi products

I am a current user of alexa for around 2 years and with around 50 devices connected to, obviously, all wifi.

I just want to make sure there is not a way that i can virtualy use the current ones on my HE? even if they dont work when i dont have internet? i will be buying from now on only zigbee or zwave, but on the meantime i want to still get the best of them, working all together with the HE...

any toughts?

Depending on the devices you may be able to set up virtual device on HE and then use Alexa routines to keep everyone in sync. EX: Smart outlet on Alexa, create virtual on HE, then create two routines 1) checks the virtual on HE for On and turns on Alexa device, 2) checks the virtual on HE for Off and turns off the Alexa device.

3 Likes

how can i do that? i dont know where to add the devie with its ip, port or mac

Read this thread. It talks about how anything you can say to an Echo can be the output of rules and such in HE. It lets any cloud only device to integrate into HE. You will not need ports, IPs, etc, just whatever you would say is part of a custom action.

2 Likes

You’ll need to add the Alexa Echo Skill app to HE, and the Hubitat Skill in Alexa to get the connection working.

2 Likes

i do have it like that and linked on both places. cant go any further of that

In HE add this in the Driver Code section:

metadata {
	definition (name: "Virtual contact with Switch", namespace: "cw", author: "cwwilson08") {
		capability "Sensor"
		capability "Contact Sensor"
        capability "Switch"
	}   
}

def on() {
    sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "closed")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "on")
}

def off() {
    sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "open")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off")
}

def installed() {
}

Then create a virtual switch using it as the driver. Go to the Amazon Echo app and add the virtual switch in the Selected Devices area, after you update and click done, the virtual switch should be available in Alexa.

1 Like

yes now i have that virtual switch on hubitat and my alexa app. how would i link it to a device and that?

Completely read the thread I posted. It should be in there.

1 Like

great i did it, thanks! i am just looking over to make it reflect back on HE for example if its turned on directly from alexa and not with a routine sent from HE

It gets complicated, but its great for implementing anything that. I modified the virtual driver to be left in the state set (ie if I turn it off, say off). You probably saw that in the thread - the driver is for a three second momentary contact if my memory is correct.