Why won't my trigger fire if boolean is always true?

The trigger condition is true, and the if/then condition is true but the action doesn't fire. What am I doing wrong?

Yes it is, but a trigger is an event. The private Boolean would need to be false then true for it to trigger. Since the private Boolean is not being changed there is no trigger. Are you changing the value of the private Boolean in another rule?

Perhaps you should explain what you are trying to do.

Looks like you want to open and close at sunrise and sunset. Those should be your triggers. One rule for each would be the easiest.

2 Likes

Ohhh, didn't realize it couldn't be triggered perpetually. Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to do, but I was just trying to have both variables in one rule to try to keep things clean. Can you tell me how I can do this in one rule? If sunset then close blinds and if sunrise then open blinds.

You should read this post, to get a better understanding of how the hub works:

1 Like

Rules are free. Use two rules. That will make things squeaky clean.

1 Like

An easy way would be to select two certain time triggers and use the two values you have in your actions section.

One trigger sunrise +20
Second trigger Sunset -15

You can leave the actions portion as is.

2 Likes

For simple things like this, I would use Basic Rule instead of RM and make a rule like this

Not sure exactly how blinds work since I don't have any automated, but I assume you'd be able to do something similar.

1 Like