Why it MATTERs (see what i did there)

Echo to Offer Local Voice Control for Matter-Compatible Devices

You do realize the processing power that local voice control would require right?

1 Like

The infrastructure is being built. Amazon has turned on the Thread radio in the eero 6 routers/APs. They are running concurrently with the existing Zigbee radios.

Interesting discussion. I am no "Matter" expert but it just sounds like another bolt on protocol/ecosystem. Today I use Hubitat to bring it all together. I have Z-Wave, zigbee, Lutron Clearconnect, IR, Amazon, Sonos and Apple HomeKit/Homebridge devices all playing in the same world. Hubitat provides me the platform to "bring it all together". Aside from the Amazon piece, its all locally controlled. I think that Hubitat is uniquely positioned to be the ultimate bridging platform and Matter will be just another "bolt on" integration. I'll bet that once Matter settles down and we start to see it in the marketplace this community will be "chomping at the bit" to integrate it into the Hubitat ecosystem. I just look at the diverse collection of devices that I have in my home today and would have never dreamed that I would be able to use them in one seamless platform to do what I am doing. I have been in Information Technology for over 43 years and I have "seen them come and go". The ones that survive the longest are the ones with flexibility. I had an Irish Nun tell me once.... "The tree that bends in the wind lasts the longest". Surviving in IT for as long as I have, this tree has done some bending.... The bottom line is that I believe that Hubitat has a future because of its versatility, active community and agility. Just my two cents...

3 Likes

The theory/promise of Thread is a more robust mesh network standard. Nest has used previous generation of Thread for their Protect interconnect network for years. It works, does not get interfered with by WiFi, and is reliable enough to be in a life safety system.

The theory/promise of Matter is to be able to get devices working easily in multiple ecosystems. That means device compatibility should no longer a competitive advantage/disadvantage. So a company like Hubitat can focus exclusively on making automation great. No more "can you make my cheap POS device work" discussions, at least for Thread devices.

Time will tell if results meet promise and theory. In any case, I imagine the industry will be changing a fair amount in the next couple of years.

1 Like

I'll just leave this here. No one should be surprised.

7 Likes

I've been listening to her IoT podcast with Kevin Kofel for years, and am a big fan. She's particularly interested in and knows about chips.

This article discusses upgrades a bit, as well as certification. The main theme is uncertainty, but it does reduce the cloud of uncertainty a bit. It addresses certification and mentions the possibility that once a device maker certifies a device as Matter compatible, it won't need certification for each hub/platform. It also discusses the future for Zigbee and Z-Wave, including the possibility of bridges. All still properly viewed with skepticism.

I use both SmartThings and Hubitat. Each one has some things I really like and some things I really don't like. This article mentions that Matter might let devices be connected to multiple platforms/hubs at once, and I would really like that.

1 Like

From Amazon's Alexa day today. The Matter content starts at about 10:30 of the video. No Amazon specific requirements to add Matter devices to Alexa (13:12 of the video). Seems the 'open' idea is going to be real.

1 Like

good news! thats one big ego down, two to go (google, apple)

Seems like Apple is going 'open' too

1 Like

I can currently add all the available Matter enabled consumer devices to my phone. They also work with my microwave. No connectivity problems.

(slightly snarky!)

Will the existing Hubitat support Matter or will it require a new version of the Hub?

I'm looking to transition from SmartThings to Hubitat, but don't want to buy a hub that can't support the new protocol.

Hubitat has not announced a membership or participation level to the Connectivity Standards Alliance.

Hubitat is compatible with a large list of devices, most that SmartThings is compatible with, Hubitat is also compatible with. Just as there were previously with SmartThings when groovy was the programming language, there are groovy community drivers for many devices on Hubitat Elevation that are not on the official compatibility list.

Hi @SmartHomePrimer - yup understand that Hubitat is compatible with current list of devices. There are brands though that have started discussing how their future connectivity will be switching to Matter. For instance, Wyze has said they won't be integrating with specific hubs but instead aligning to the Matter protocol to enable broad access.

The question was less about current connectivity and future-proofing. If I purchase the Elevate today, will I have to replace it in 18-24 months because the new shiny stuff is Matter based and the Elevate doesn't connect. Specifically, does the Hubitat have the necessary hardware to support BLE and Thread?

Matter is an application layer. Thread over IP without a hardware change should be technically possible, but I'm not qualified to state that as fact. They do not have a Bluetooth radio in the current hub.

2 Likes

Matter is a protocol but so far we know it relies on Wifi/Thread for communication and BLE for some aspects.

No BLE radio would then tend to mean that the Matter protocol won't be supported when it becomes available, hence needing to wait for a new Hubitat product.

Thanks for the info, I have my answer :slight_smile:

That is not correct. Matter is an application layer to allow manufacturer's devices to interoperate via TCP/IP, Zigbee, Bluetooth. The Z-Wave Alliance have joined, but there are no Matter compatible Z-Wave devices at this time.

BLE does not have to be present to have Matter support.

3 Likes

Hue is going to support Matter via a software update to its bridge. There's no Thread support in the Hue bulbs or bridge. The only hardware change required is if Hue wanted to have Thread radios in the hardware. Hubitat could follow a similar path if it chooses.

3 Likes

I am quite convinced that the Hubitat people will ensure compatibility with Matter at a future time, if market forces dictate it.
In other words, in my humble opinion, if there is going to be a market advantage to supporting Matter, then Hubitat will support Matter.
That may require getting an updated Hub - no one really knows now.
We all have to wait and see how the market reacts to the new "standard".

3 Likes