Why does Hubitat close displeasant posts?

I posted a gentle but may be displeasant post in this thread about the user interface and, wow, Hubitat closed my topic after just some hours.

Closing discussions because they are not pleasant for Hubitat, that's even surprising me. I work as Senior Building Project Coordinator and manage about 40 000 sqm. I'm confronted every day to huge smart systems like Crestron or KNX and that are systems that feel like Hubitat. But when it comes to smart home and I show my system to non technical people I see that they are impressed, but 95% fear the interface and buy another system. You can all hide you behind a shield saying that your system is the best, and that may technically be right, but the fact that average people don't feel it easy enough to buy it is a reality. All I say is that you could not only have the best technical solution but also the most appealing solution by paying a good designer. If this subject has been discussed so many times that means that there is a real demand for it. It's your choice, but shutting down discussions that are in an off channel that's a sign of resignation. I posted some negative comments on Homey's forum after I switched to Hubitat, but they never closed the thread.

Suppliers acting like that are getting blacklisted in my professional projects. I really have to think again about my private projects and choices I do.

The reason was explained by staff in a post in your topic: because it was already discussed recently (at length--a 145-post topic).

Further:

They aren't; just the opposite, they have acknowldeged the feedback (e.g., in this post: Will the UI ever get better? - #4 by bobbyD). This is also far from the first time the UI has been discussed (the thread above is not the only place), and they have made small improvements every release for a while now with hints that there is more to come.

7 Likes

OK, but I didn't see something like :

We are aware of this request that has been discussed extensively and Hubitat is working in small steps on the interface and there is more to come.

The way it has been done felt to me like :

He's talking about another system that has an interface that is lightyears in advance of our interface, so stop this thread before peaple look at the others system.

That was not my intention because I clearly stated that Hubitat is the best technical solution. People looking for an easy to program system, even if it's not the most reliable, aren't actually in this forum as they already choose another system.

I think that continuing this discussion ends in polemic. Fact is that my thread was closed without a clear statement about Hubitats plans AND a statement that Hubitat is taking in consideration this customer needs and requests.

1 Like

Isn’t that pretty much what Bobby said in the last post of the linked thread?

More power to those who find their sweet spot among various platforms, and kudos for those who support Hubitat. As @bravenel mentioned above, Hubitat will continue to make efforts in improving the UI. The future of home automation is bright, and cannot wait to see what the next 5 years will bring.

3 Likes

I suggest that you read the entire thread that was referenced above. Many of us made similar points including me. The reality is that the Hubitat staff is relatively small and the UI has not been as high on the priority list as some other really key features. I think if you read that thread, you'll see that your concerns have been voiced already and Hubitat has responded already. I like pretty UIs too, but I value the technical capabilities of HE more. You'll have to make your own judgments of course.

7 Likes

@pascal.nohl I'll throw in as well... The UI issue has been discussed to death. Honestly it's not a high priority but it is a priority. As a small shop they have much more important things to work on. For myself, I couldn't work through the phone to program anything. I do it all from a PC...It's much nicer. Overall the UI doesn't bother me and it is easy to work with. So the moderators only shutdown threads when they are basically duplicates, or when they feel they're getting toxic. Most of us appreciate it..

9 Likes

We are aware of this request that has been discussed extensively and Hubitat is working in small steps on the interface and there is more to come.

(we could not have said it better than you, thank you!)

22 Likes