Why does device firmware update app take so long?

That's normal, that is the device telling the hub to send it the next chunk of data. The driver you are using on the device doesn't know what to do with it and sends it to debug logging.

I assume you are using the system firmware updater app then? Just FYI it will not work at all with S2 paired devices and GBL (binary) update files. Gets to the end and fails every single time.

In all cases, I'm using the Hubitat built-in "device firmware updater app" documented here...

https://docs2.hubitat.com/en/apps/device-firmware-updater

The ZEN54 devices all got assigned the "Zooz ZEN54 0-10V Advanced" type/driver during inclusion.

The z-wave details page shows "None" in the security column for all devices I have installed. The firmware file being used is a .gbl file from the Zooz site.

Is this a device firmware updater app problem, a ZEN54 device problem (on all three of the ones I have), a problem with the current firmware (1.20) on the ZEN54 devices, or a problem with the new ZEN54 firmware (1.30) file? I'm guessing the current firmware (1.20) is the problem. If so, it seems pretty bad if a bug in the current firmware won't let me update the firmware. The app worked really well/fast when updating the ZEN77.

I asked Zooz support about this. Their reply...

They [Zooz support team] were able to replicate the issue on the Hubitat updater; however, the unit updates without any issues on all other platforms tested (Z-Box, Home Assistant, PC Controller), so our technicians believe the issue is tied to the Hubitat updater, which we unfortunately do not have any control over or input on.

I had already ordered a ZST39LR USB stick, which should be delivered today. I will see how that goes.

Still odd to me that the ZEN77 firmware update worked well but the ZEN54 has problems with the update.

I was able to update the ZEN54 firmware using the Zooz USB stick and PC Controller. The update took about three minutes.

2 Likes