Why did mode change failed to trigger simple rule?

I have a simple rule, which turns on night light, and in morning turns it off. I see that today morning, the light did not turn off in morning. Any thoughts on why the rule did not trigger today morning to turn off the light?

My Rule:

Log showing that the mode changed to Day, but then nothing happened to turn the light back off:

Filtered Rule log, showing that it correctly turned the lights on...but not to turn it back off

System log showing mode change:

Is this something that has been working and then stopped working?

Did you hit "Done" in that Basic Rule app instance sometime while it was waiting for mode to become Day? If so, that will "reset" some things and require a change to Night mode again (your first action) before anything else will happen again.

2 Likes

Yes, had been working nicely

I did not know this can happen. I am not sure if this is what happened here, but is definitely a possibility. I will continue monitoring.

My mode reset is still not working after many days. It turns the nights lights on, but not off in the morning. Seems like a very simple rule, and I am not sure what to look for. I have now not touched the rule since 2-3 days and in the morning I need to manually turn the "night light" scene off.

Turn on logging in the rule, and leave a tab open on Logs. Also, look at the Event Subscriptions section of the App Status page (gear icon). Please post that section here.

I will specifically leave the log window open and post results in a day, but in the meanwhile, here are logs from today. You may probably ignore the errors from Echo app, which might be unrelated:

In the below log, notice at 5:30 AM mode got changed from night to day, but no light scene got changed at that time. Later, around 8:53 AM you will see "night light was turned off", when i turned it off manually.

And here are app subscritons:

Thanks. I will look into this... Yeah, it's not working as it should.

This bug has been found and fixed. The fix will be in the 2.2.9 release, now in beta.

3 Likes

Respect for Hubitat product, the team and community!

Do you know if there is some workaround I can use for now, while waiting for the next version? Today I changed the rule to add all my bulbs also to be turned off, even through they are also in the rule to be turned off.. hoping this might work for now

You could use two separate rules. Or you could do the exact same rule in Rule Machine (don't be afraid, it's easy).

Trigger: Mode becomes Night
Actions:
   On: night light
   Wait for event: mode becomes Day
   Off: night light
1 Like

Wish list alert: There should be a feature to convert basic rule to rule machine :smiley:
Thanks, I will try this out.

1 Like

Question - I have scene named "night light". What is the difference between "activate scene - night light" ...vs button based "On - night light" ?

The Scene activation device is a special device that is both switch and button. Turning it on is the same as pushing the button. RM has an action to activate a Scene, and that just turns that device on.