Why Automate The Garage Door?

Oooh.. Good question.

Simplest answer: Why not automate everything.

More specific: Picture tying the garage door to arrival and departure on presence. No one’s home, automatically close that thing if open. When you arrive inside the geofence open up for you.

3 Likes

i do it for convenience. instead of stretching up to reach my garage door opener, i can use voice to open it. i've also teamed my garage door with my garage light and have that turn on, so i'm not just using the dim bulb from the motor, but the LED light i put in the ceiling (this can just be done with a tilt sensor, no need to control the actual door with it). as others have mentioned, i've set an alert if it's been opened for too long as well. again, this would be from the tilt sensor and not the action door control

Where on the door do you place this?

for me i did it on the top on the inside. i added a tilt sensor (thanks @aaiyar) to a WADWAZ-1 external sensors, and turned the contact sensor into a tilt sensor (i had the sensor previously or else i would've gone with a z-wave plus device). this way when the top panel starts to tilt back, it'll alert the garage door is open

Other possible practical application would be to control the door for a limited opening in order to allow for the delivery of larger packages or/and ventilation for limited periods of time and without compromising the security of the house.

1 Like

For security reasons I haven’t gone down the presence rabbit hole to automate the garage, I had tried this years ago on SmartThings and my garage opened in the middle of the night because of some cloud issue. On HE I did automate it for 2 use cases.

• Like others I have left it open overnight by accident so when my hub changes to night mode it will close the garage if left open.
  • My kids tend to leave it open in the afternoons and I cannot see the garage door when pulling up to the house. While pulling up the driveway I hit the button to open the garage, but it closes instead, super frustrating. Lutron makes a Pico remote visor mount so I now use the Pico instead to open the garage since button controller is set to only open it, if it’s already open nothing happens. Picos have pretty good range too.
2 Likes

It is easy and cheap to do, if one avoids the expensive products sold to the unwary consumer.
I have a door sensor mounted on the garage door below a hinge that swings down and closes when the garage door panel is closed, and hence, vertical. A magnet is mounted on the hinge, so the door sensor always knows the correct state of the garage door, even if the motor is disengaged, and the door opened manually. Even the cheapest door sensor can do this job.

(When the garage door is open, the door panel is horizontal, so the hinge swings open downward, and the magnet swings away from the sensor.)

To operate the door, I have a SonOff relay, running Tasmota, and electrically rewired to be a "dry contact" relay, per the many YouTube videos and web pages that explain how. The SonOff is wired in parallel with the momentary-contact wall switch that operates the garage door, so there is no need to buy any new add-ons for the garage door opener.

So, for literally about $5 total (a Lowes Iris door sensor and a SonOff), I am managing the garage door as well as those who spent hundreds, and I can avoid the sinking feeling about leaving the garage door open. I also have a cheap pocket fob remote to close it when I pull the lawn mower or other gardening tools out, which has a handy sliding cover to cover the buttons when it is in my pocket 4 Buttons Sliding Cover Garage Door Remote Control Fob For LIFTMASTER 433MHZ US for sale online | eBay , as we dislike having stray feral cats poking about in our garage, and "marking" their territory.

1 Like

I'm sorry, but when it comes to cats (feral or otherwise) what's theirs is theirs, and it really doesn't matter what you think. :wink:

2 Likes

Which Zigbee arrival sensor?

I tend to make clear to them "what I think" with a Tippman 98 paintball gun. I just wish I could buy some of those "pepperballs" used by police on protestors, as plain paintballs aren't as emphatic as I'd like.

I use the SmartThings arrival sensor (one V4 and V2). Modified to use AA batteries. Batteries last about 6-8 months or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-F-ARR-US-2-Arrival-Sensor/dp/B00GM7V8I8/

1 Like

I think you'd be happiest if you could fill your gun w/urine balls... :wink:

Urine luck!

1 Like