Who did they hire

@bcopeland is now showing as staff on here. I don't remember seeing that from before? Would make sense. His projects have been mighty impressive!

5 Likes

As is @SmartHomePrimer. A full list of current Hubitat staff on the Hubitat community is here:

https://community.hubitat.com/g/hubitat

5 Likes

There are a number of people that could be called staff with the amount of time they spend on this forum. Too bad we don't get paid for it.

7 Likes

Well, there's still a position available for a senior Java engineer. Perhaps we'll see another enthusiastic Hubitat user join the Hubitat team.

2 Likes

If I had to recommend based on recent work @thomas.c.howard and his son @CordMaster seem to have a great set of skills for the platform.

Just sayin ... :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Appreciate the vote of confidence. I have my day job :). My son ... starts college in the fall. That being said, you haven’t seen the latest release of HubiPanel.... Just sayin....It’s epic... Hope to (convince my son) to release it soon

10 Likes

I'm not a developer but I'd like to think I make some positive contribution. For me it would be much less fun if it were my job.

4 Likes

Looks like four May 25th adds.

It's great to see the staff growing. Can only mean more amazing functionality with greater dedicated resources. And hopefully it also means things are good in a financial sense also.

2 Likes

Hopefully. And hopefully not a giant debt building exercise premised on some mythical future growth to pay it back. :confused:

I have high hopes for the future, though. Seems like there may be things being worked on in the background that I could personally use, if my guessing based on sentence fragments here and there is correct. :wink:

Now that sigma doesn't require ZIP for compliance (thank God - no one wanted to update every command class to support ZIP, which almost no one is asking for) I see a lot more chatter/progress on moving zwave forward in the various projects I follow.

2 Likes

So long as they hire someone from the UK go build drivers for all the UK products the guys don't get hold of

Be the change you want to see. Send devices to @mike.maxwell to write drivers for popular products you want.

3 Likes

I actually prefer it when users write the drivers, versus in-box, so that we have access to the code.

Then we can extend/tweak to our heart's desires instead of only have whatever parameters Mike picked (which is almost never all of them). :slight_smile:

Mike can work on the platform stuff that users can't access.

6 Likes

But Z-Wave devices outside of the US require different frequencies. So that also adds layers to what’s available to everyone and how soon if it’s left to the community.

Ah, I get what you are saying. Yes, makes sense that non-US device support can grow faster if Mike has devices in hand so can tweak/improve the platform as needed for those locals.

:+1:

For US devices, I stand by my statement. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Pros/cons. I agree with what you said but conversely it’s nice know they will support/maintain it if it ever breaks or needs changes. As a developer myself, sometimes you get bored with a project then the community has to hope someone else picks it up!

4 Likes

Yup, pros and cons... I prefer to have my destiny in my own hands as much as is practical.

Many devices have unique features and settings, or settings that are useful as commands instead of just preference/settings, and if they don't fit the standard driver mold in Hubitat then they are often just left out of the in-box drivers.

That drives functionality to the lowest common denominator, instead of the maximum capable for the device. I don't prefer that, in general. Yeah, great for consistency, but sucks for you if you wanted/needed the left out parameter/setting/command/feature.

At least if it is on github (and assuming no prohibitively restrictive licensing model) someone CAN pick it up and improve/extend it. I think the contributions of many exceed the capability of one.

I understand the rationale behind that sentiment. And I use some community-derived drivers. However, from a support perspective, it is probably in Hubitat's best interest to provide a common set of drivers that cover a large plethora of devices (like they currently do).

4 Likes

Probably. It should get you devices supported with a minimum feature set the fastest.

1 Like

Very valid point. This has led to frustration for me on more than one device.