Which Smart Lock do you prefer and why?

Despite issues with others here, I'm happy with my two Schlage locks. I have two, one older and one newer Zwave Plus. (I'll note like others have, I spent a lot of time with zwave repeaters and being patience to allow things to settle to get this to be reliable on my network)
I personally like the look and the various options Schlage has. I also believe in their security a bit more than Yale from my research long ago.

Having said that, if I were to do things over again, I'd pick up their new zigbee version as the reports are not only is it more reliable, the whole hardware has been upgraded (touch panel, etc.).

2 Likes

I looked and looked and looked at those as well. I like the way they look and interact, but I couldn't find any zigbee ones on line and Sioux Falls is so brand specific, I gave up. My zwave mesh is stable and supports my Schlage lock reliably. I also really like that bluetooth idea. It'll be really convenient for us to have that added feature. I, too am happy with my schlage lock, but I need this one to have that little bit more that Alfred offers.

2 Likes

Excited to hear how this new one pans out!

2 Likes

Curious, did you also buy their 'zwave module'?

Yes, that was a little bit unexpected. I'm glad I did it from their site instead of Amazon, or I would have missed it. It's an added cost.

DB2 looks very nice - probably the one I would buy if I needed a lock right this minute. My kids come in through the front door after school, and ALWAYS have their phones on them, I would love to see how the bluetooth integration actually works. They would love not having to punch in a code at all.

I'll also be curious to hear how it goes!

1 Like

I'll be sure to be thorough.

I’m using 2 of these and no issues. They paired easily and update instantly. I used silicone caulk to seal behind the outside controller since they don’t come with a seal.

Currently on clearance near my house. If you find one online, order online. The Lowe’s stores near me lock up expensive items so you can’t tell if they are in stock by looking in the store.

1 Like

That's a screaming deal.

While I hate the screen on the 916 with a passion (would seriously throw both of them I own in the trash if I wasn't so cheap - and I still might the next time it takes 4-5 screen presses to 'tun on' the keypad...), that is a great price.

1 Like

I have this one on the back door

Works just as well. Easier to use and won’t see a lot of traffic to wear off the print.
I also had to seal behind it. I have seen some reviews that sound like water damage. I can’t believe they don’t have a seal, or recommend caulking behind them.

That's the one I put on my front door when I got pissed off at the 916 and moved it to the garage door (where I rarely ever use the keypad).

I love the 914.

1 Like

I watched a video on the 916 and the person held their hand on it until the keypad lit up. I wouldn't have the patience. I plan on doing a video and a complete write up on the Alfred later. I'll post it in a new thread and I'll post here too.

2 Likes

I just press the back of my hand against it and haven’t had it not come on immediately.
To be clear, I’m not backhanding the lock, merely holding the back of my hand against it to activate.

Yeah, believe me - I've tried everything. Palm, back of hand, multiple fingers. Nothing is consistent turning the keypad on on my two 916. Sometimes it activates 1st try, sometimes 4-5 tries. Don't know why. Both act the exact same, though.

Maybe I'm non-conductive. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I've heard that about you. :grin:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear. I do like the 914 better as well with its non judgmental buttons.

1 Like

Yeah! Don't judge me lock! :slight_smile:

I walk up to the 914, beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep I'm in. No farting around.

2 Likes

I have had good luck with my Ultraloq U-Bolt Pro. It offers several options for unlocking, fingerprint, number code, phone recognition. The connectivity is probably my only complaint. I go months without trying to connect to it, and it doesn’t always respond without a reset.

Does that connect to Hubitat?

I actually haven’t tried to connect them. I was just about to do a search.