Which Smart Lock do you prefer and why?

I'm banned to working from home now and for the first time, I feel like I want to make sure all of my doors are locked. Probably with everything going on and the fact I'm in the basement and unable to actually monitor the door without always displaying a camera.
I'd like to know what others are using and what you think about your locks. I have a schlage zwave lock and it's been working well, so I've had no desire to change it out, but want to add another to the inside garage door. Not a schlage for obvious reasons. It just never seems to get locked during the day. I'm interested in both the pros and cons of the other locks. August or something that fits over an existing lock is NOT an option for us.

1 Like

Yale with Zigbee or Zwave. Workss 100% of the time. Antenna is really good and battery consumption is really low. I change (4) AA rechargeable batteries once every 6 months with heavy usage pattern.

3 Likes

If it makes sense to have a locking door knob on the door that you are talking about, I am really starting to like my Kwikset Lever Locks. I have deadbolts on all of my exterior doors but on an inside door lever locks are sometimes a good choice. They also come in Zigbee but the newer Z-Wave plus ones have been rock solid for me. I do have a Zigbee radio on hand to trade out a Z-Wave plus one just in case but haven't had the need to do so yet. I have both Zigbee and Z-Wave plus models and they are equally reliable.

2 Likes

I used to have Schlage locks. Switched to Yale zigbee locks and I have to agree with @aaron.

Edit - FWIW, you can get a 20% discount on Yale locks by calling them.

4 Likes

Originally I started with the YRD240-ZW with Smart Things (and RBoys excellent stuff), switched to HE and had some trouble so got the YRD256. Still had sporadic issues so changed the module to Zigbee and everything has been working well. I prefer Zigbee right now but a lot of people here have had no issues with the Z-Wave device so either will do.

Also I decided on strictly the keypad model because I'm not yet sure how good the actual locking mechanisms are.

3 Likes

I have two Yale ZWave. Different models. One is a deadbolt, one is a lever lock. Neither are used much but both work flawlessly. As you may have read elsewhere, I have a 6th hub and I plan on using it to again split my devices. I've decided on dividing 'downstairs' into 'front and back'. Both of the Yale Locks are in the front portion of the house, as is my Linear Garage Door Opener (GDO).

In other words, the devices I had the hardest time moving from ST to Hubitat a couple years ago, but have worked flawlessly since, are what need to be Excluded. Last week I did it. I added an Iris plug (Zigbee and ZWave) to the new hub and added the ZWave GDO, first try. Next were the Yale Locks (ZWave) and imagine my surprise when they joined right up.

Initially I tried building the mesh the other way... an Aeon SmartSwitch 6 that is 3' from the Lock when the door is closed and 18" when the door is open. Didn't work. Exclude seemed to always work but not Include, which of course adds in the Secure portion for Locks. I decided that 'first hop' was too far, (I knew that initially BUT didn't want to do anything to the GDO, given how much trouble it was 2 years ago.) The GDO is literally beneath the new Hub, about 8' and through a floor. It worked first try and I was so flush with success I did the two locks next and they worked too.

I am writing this much detail because I was starting with a new hub and building out the mesh was the key to success, just like it says in the various articles we promote to others. :smiley:

4 Likes

Kwikset Zwave Plus works great

2 Likes

Just don’t use the lock which shall not be named..

3 Likes

I have one of the locks that shall not be named. It works flawlessly for me. Terrible to join, but no troubles since. I'd prefer zwave because all of my mains are zwave and zwave plus, so the force is strong within, but definitely not into buying the lock that shall not be named.
:grin:

3 Likes

It appears that the site you mentioned in that post has a 20% coupon right there on the page... no need to call or jump through hoops

4 Likes

The door was fitted with a deadbolt that my husband locks religiously. At night, it's ok, but during the day, it gets annoying, so to remedy that, I'm going with a smart deadbolt. That way when my parents stop by, they can get all the way in the house. And since I have deliveries to the garage regularly, I can be confident they're not opening the inside door as well. I looked at the lever ones and considered it, but that won't stop my hubs from hitting that deadbolt the minute he walks through it. I love him. I love that he wants us safe, but we need a happy medium. When I'm here alone, I like the lock locked, but I often lock him out because I forget to unlock it in anticipation of his arrival, so he has to fiddle with a key. NOT that he minds. :grin:

2 Likes

That's new ..... but good thing Yale made it available.

2 Likes

Yale over Schlage for sure!

Unfortunately the Yale won't fit one of my doors, so I am stuck with a Schlage. It has been better since installing the Reliable Locks app by @jwetzel1492.

Highly recommend it. It has made my locks a lot more "reliable". :lock:

2 Likes

What kind of door are we talking here? Why won't the yale "fit"? They are both designed to work with various standards when it comes to hole placement.

Yah, unique situation with a door can be a tough deal when choosing a lock. I'm leaning towards yale. I don't know why I'm prioritizing it at the moment. I'm in a town of 800 people and my elderly neighbors miss nothing when it comes to someone stopping by the house. But, it would take them 5 minutes to cross the room to pick up the phone and call someone if needed.

1 Like

I use both Kwikset Zwave Plus and Kwikset Zigbee.

Both work great for me - with the comment that I use the Kwikset Zwave Plus on a different hub than Hubitat.

2 Likes

Exterior door. The bore hole is too small, and the set back is not far enough to make it bigger.

1 Like

DOH .. I'M SO CONFUSED!
I like the kwikset because I can just smart key it to my existing locks without seeing the locksmith, but I like the yale. But I have a pretty solid mesh as all my mains are zwave so I even havent had much trouble with my shhhhh .... lage lock that shouldn't be talked about here. I'm very lucky to not have trouble with it, though.

Not much I can say to help.

When I used Kwikset Zwave NON-PLUS on Hubitat, it missed events like crazy. Sucked, to put it nicely. 60+ device powered/repeater zwave network.

I converted those to Zigbee, and they have been 100% perfect on Hubitat.

Then I bought a couple Kwikset zwave plus models, but have never even tried them on Hubitat - so I don't know if they work well or poorly. They work great on another platform, though. :wink:

1 Like

I've used kwikset z-wave and zigbee, Schlage z-wave plus and zigbee, and finally Yale Zigbee. In terms of ease of install and reliability with HE the Yale is the hands down winner. Yale doesn't make the cheapest locks, but their quality and performance are top notch.

3 Likes