Which Smart Lock do you prefer and why?

Just donโ€™t use the lock which shall not be named..

3 Likes

I have one of the locks that shall not be named. It works flawlessly for me. Terrible to join, but no troubles since. I'd prefer zwave because all of my mains are zwave and zwave plus, so the force is strong within, but definitely not into buying the lock that shall not be named.
:grin:

3 Likes

It appears that the site you mentioned in that post has a 20% coupon right there on the page... no need to call or jump through hoops

4 Likes

The door was fitted with a deadbolt that my husband locks religiously. At night, it's ok, but during the day, it gets annoying, so to remedy that, I'm going with a smart deadbolt. That way when my parents stop by, they can get all the way in the house. And since I have deliveries to the garage regularly, I can be confident they're not opening the inside door as well. I looked at the lever ones and considered it, but that won't stop my hubs from hitting that deadbolt the minute he walks through it. I love him. I love that he wants us safe, but we need a happy medium. When I'm here alone, I like the lock locked, but I often lock him out because I forget to unlock it in anticipation of his arrival, so he has to fiddle with a key. NOT that he minds. :grin:

2 Likes

That's new ..... but good thing Yale made it available.

2 Likes

Yale over Schlage for sure!

Unfortunately the Yale won't fit one of my doors, so I am stuck with a Schlage. It has been better since installing the Reliable Locks app by @jwetzel1492.

Highly recommend it. It has made my locks a lot more "reliable". :lock:

2 Likes

What kind of door are we talking here? Why won't the yale "fit"? They are both designed to work with various standards when it comes to hole placement.

Yah, unique situation with a door can be a tough deal when choosing a lock. I'm leaning towards yale. I don't know why I'm prioritizing it at the moment. I'm in a town of 800 people and my elderly neighbors miss nothing when it comes to someone stopping by the house. But, it would take them 5 minutes to cross the room to pick up the phone and call someone if needed.

1 Like

I use both Kwikset Zwave Plus and Kwikset Zigbee.

Both work great for me - with the comment that I use the Kwikset Zwave Plus on a different hub than Hubitat.

2 Likes

Exterior door. The bore hole is too small, and the set back is not far enough to make it bigger.

1 Like

DOH .. I'M SO CONFUSED!
I like the kwikset because I can just smart key it to my existing locks without seeing the locksmith, but I like the yale. But I have a pretty solid mesh as all my mains are zwave so I even havent had much trouble with my shhhhh .... lage lock that shouldn't be talked about here. I'm very lucky to not have trouble with it, though.

Not much I can say to help.

When I used Kwikset Zwave NON-PLUS on Hubitat, it missed events like crazy. Sucked, to put it nicely. 60+ device powered/repeater zwave network.

I converted those to Zigbee, and they have been 100% perfect on Hubitat.

Then I bought a couple Kwikset zwave plus models, but have never even tried them on Hubitat - so I don't know if they work well or poorly. They work great on another platform, though. :wink:

1 Like

I've used kwikset z-wave and zigbee, Schlage z-wave plus and zigbee, and finally Yale Zigbee. In terms of ease of install and reliability with HE the Yale is the hands down winner. Yale doesn't make the cheapest locks, but their quality and performance are top notch.

3 Likes

This is what I worry about. All of my mains are zwave and zwave plus. Most of my zigbee mesh consists of battery controlled things other than 10 iris plugs. Now the hub is in the center of the house, so there's not much more than 20 feet at the farthest point in distance from any of my devices. Given that information, I worry that I'd have trouble with zigbee because those plugs could be unplugged at any point in time for whatever reason. What would you do?

[Edit]
Then I think that the kwikset 916 might be an ok choice because it's technically an interior lock that would be secondary, so the chances of it getting bumped are lower because by the time one gets to that lock, we'll know they're in the garage. But, I don't see that on the compatibility list. Doesn't mean it's not compatible, I know that, but I'd rather be sure. Kind've matches my sch .... outdoor lock.

1 Like

I have Schlage Zwave (non plus) and a a Schlage Zigbee. Both work very well. Had problems with my older firmware Schlage zwave and replaced it with Zigbee because every lock in my house is Schlage so stuck with brand.

@mike.maxwell discussed a lock, new brand to me, the other night on Hubitat Live. Maybe thatโ€™s an option.

1 Like

Alfred. And @mike.maxwell liked the DB1 more than the DB2.

1 Like

@ritchierich
My Schlage Zwave (non plus) work fine but has a few second delay which may be due to the hub firing the rule not the lock.
thinking of upgrading my Schlage Zwave (non plus) to a Schlage Zigbee did you notice if the zigbee version responded faster?

Yes I am starting to prefer zigbee over zwave but not all devices I have come in zigbee. The zigbee lock has been great and I get notified near instantly when certain codes unlock the door.

1 Like

did you see my question above? In your OPINION, do you think that I'd have problems if I went zigbee?

I may have to go back and watch that. I just got the DB2 for testing and It's a nice lock. What was the summary version of why Mike liked the DB1 over the DB2?