Where Do You Stand On Presence?

@ogiewon - thank you again for your links. I now have my first MakerAPI working :smiley:

@HAL9000 - so I am not a SW guy and i am definitely NOT going to pay a monthly subscription to use Request Designer ... but looking at other drivers I have I replaced the Virtual Presence driver with a User Presence/Location driver.

I attempted but failed to pass a secondary value of home or work, so I added additional commands.

Does this address what you were trying to accomplish? Quite possibly i have misunderstood.

Im trying out Owntracks now - so far, so good. Thanks for the pointer :+1:

2 Likes

I don't know what Locative sends, if anything, as data along with the URL by default. If it requires a monthly subscription just to send the name of the geofence and whether it was an enter or exit, then I'd be out too. And I don't know if anything sent to cloud.hubitat.com gets passed along to Cloud Endpoint (or MakerAPI) triggers.

What I hope it would do is include something like geofence_ID=Home and direction=Enter which could then be used in a rule to conditionalize actions based on which of up to 20 different geofences were entered/exited, all in one rule (per person in the household running Locative on their phone).

Sure, this could be done with multiple cloud endpoints, but four family members, 20 locations .. that would become unwieldy.

I had at one point used Life360 and BPTWorld's stuff to do something similar, but just wanted something more lightweight on the client side.

1 Like

Got you.
It sends exactly what you put in the https string and it only allows

[Device ID]/[Command]/[Secondary value]

And I am not savvy enough to know how to handle the secondary value yet in the driver. I have to play more. But a single webhook would be required per user and that is independent of the number of commands.

I just tried to setup Locative but it says no response when I arrive or depart, do I need to use get instead of post?

Yes

1 Like

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

How in God's name do you have this setup? My wife and I both have Samsung S21s and I can't get any kind of consistency... at all. My region radius is much bigger than I think it should be and I still don't get presence by the time I get home. I really believe it's a Samsung thing because I've been looking at logs and HE just doesn't get info from OwnTracks or the Hubitat app consistently when the region is crossed. All battery restrictions have been removed and it's driving me nuts.

FWIW, I've OwnTracks for 1 year on an original Google Pixel and the last two years on an iPhone. Worked well in both instances. For me, it has been super reliable.

That's why I'm thinking it's a Samsung issue. I can look at the logs and messages just don't come in consistently. I even had issues with L360 which is why I switched to OT.

1 Like

I'm seeing the same issue on my Samsung phone too. I've tried everything and thus far I haven't been able to get a good trigger consistently. Hoping one day an update will fix it all.

Right now I'm using OT on my phone (Pixel 6 pro) and my wife's phone (Pixel 5a) without issue. Still have Life360 running to compare speed of updates. With my upcoming app, you'll be able to save locations and see other people you have connected through Hubitat, all on the same map.

1 Like

I just followed the instructions here...haven't reallly done anything to my setup since then.

I use location to turn off some cameras at my house and at my mother-in-laws when we're at either location, and it's worked fine for that. To be clear, I'm not using it to unlock/lock a front door or open/close a garage door the moment I get home or leave, so I am not monitoring it at a minute-by-minute level. If it's taking 15 minutes for it to realize I'm home, I wouldn't notice that.

Ok, that explains a bit. I get minutes of variation and usually I can trigger the event by just waking up my phone.

I've added the Improved Presence app to the other 2 so I'll see if that helps.

For what its worth, I just built this: BLE (Beacon) Gateway Manager. I figured out how to integrate a BLE gateway (made by April Brother) with iBeacons into Hubitat. I wanted to create something that people could use without having to write or modify code. Looking for feedback, comments, suggestions, and developers to help expand it. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did see this.... Without having looked at it closely, nice effort to provide something for others to make use of...

Again, not completely up on the Gateway device itself... but what does it pick up on? Would it pick up on my Tile device on my keyring, that I am working on setting up....?

Sorry - coming in very late to this. Not really using it as I've had trouble with reliable implementation.

The closest I've come is WiFi connection detection via Unifi. Of course the issue with that is modern phones scramble the MAC by default so you have to specifically set that feature off for your connection. Also no real geofencing..

I've messed around with the owntrack stuff but trying to figure out the proper settings that actually work reliably and won't drain the battery is maddening.

The real problem is we are detecting the presence of our phones, not us...

1 Like

So true.... :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

You go first! :grinning:

3 Likes

I'm happy with my phone... I'll implant that in my pocket and put up with the EMR I receive like any other Internet baby.... Even though I might have been 15-20 years ahead of my time... :wink:

2 Likes