When do required expressions run

No image actually posted.

?

Bruce is probably just seeing the same thing as me:

.. so click on the down arrow. You know, like when all your rules "disappear".

2 Likes

Indeed - my apologies... I've never seen that feature in the forum here.

1 Like

This should have been fixed in 2.3.8.118. Have you updated?

what should have? As in what part was the issue in the end

i have updated.

The value logged could be wrong, or at least that's what it appeared to be. I couldn't get any failure out of it, but a small snippet of code was redone to remove any doubt about the value of the Required Expression when Update happens.

that would make sense as when I did a update earlier it was at least correct, so looks like you did correct it.

But I don't get a "required expression is now true or false" in the logs when i change the HV which would make it true or false. Instead i get what looks like the trigger getting scheduled even if the expression is true or false.
In this case it is the same HV im just using the date part as the expression and the time as the trigger.

OK, I missed this detail of what you're doing (can't say that I'm capable of paying that much attention when things are completely spelled out). Perhaps one day I'll look into this, but seriously?

I didn't exactly hide it :joy: the rule clearly shows it's the same variable.

I also mentioned before that I could now dump the expression because there is a option to use the date as part of the trigger. Not sure that was there when I originally created the rule quite a while ago. At that time it also worked perfectly. It was more recently I noted that on this and other rules (where I'm not using the same variable) where the expression was not getting evaluated it seemed.

This was just the most simple rule to keep a eye on and where I noticed the logs also didn't match up.

So again for testing purposes I have left it as it was to try and figure out if there is a issue and if it's still there. So what should I be seeing in the logs because from what I can see the rule is working correctly but I don't know if the logging is correct to what you think it should be?

@bravenel happened again. no logs because it just doesnt work. opened the app again and its working and giving logs.

Its as if after a while if the variable doesnt change it just loses its subscriptions. Then sits there doing nothing even when the variable has changed. Open the app and off it goes again for X time.

No way for me to do anything without logs, Event Subscriptions, etc.

1 Like

But there must be not subscriptions right because otherwise it would have worked like it does now.

So I don't think we are looking for a issue with the rule as such we are looking at the mechanics for adding subscriptions from required expression from a GV when the dates passes.

Then maybe after a while it stops looking for changes because there is nothing in the future. Then I change the GV often on for the same day for it to match. It might only be 30 mins to a few hours in the future that it will match with but nothing then happens because it's given up looking.

I'm sorry you're having difficulties. Absent all of the details, I cannot help you.

I have a work around so don't worry about me. I'm trying to help fix for others and future.

You have the details and the rule but not sure that's directly going to help.

Best option is to have a time event GH and use the date as the requirement expression. You can have the trigger as the time of the HV however I don't think that will matter.

Let it subscribe and trigger. Then leave it for a few weeks without changing the variable. Then look at the subscriptions and see if there are any/ change the GV to match the current date at the time and see if anything happens.

If the same thing happens to you as it does for me and the other users nothing will happen and it would just not resubscribe. Untill you initialise the rule again.