What's with the firmware updates?

I'll also say, some feature requests have come out as hot fixes too. The other day someone mentioned a method of handling something to @bravenel and literally the next day it was in a hotfix. We've gotten spoiled by dev's that listen to their customers. In most cases they will say, "Hey, I like this idea, let me pass it around to the team and get their input" and boom, new feature. In some cases they'll say, "No, this won't work for this specific reason, or it completely negates security in x area, or what have you" and move on. But they listen, they respond and interact. So a bunch of hot fixes after a major update is fine with me. If something breaks, I can roll back to the previous one. Pretty easy. Also as noted above, simply read the release notes! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

As long as your devices don't change, then nothing needs to change with your hub. If you have LAN devices or anything that receives automatic updates, that might cause some conflict. But for zigbee or z-wave devices, they just sit there doing what they're supposed to do with the Hubitat as one big happy family. You could leave it untouched for decade and it would still do the same thing.

Come to think of it, Hubitat would be a great device to put on the next Mars Rover.

1 Like

I think that would exceed it's temperature rating. :wink:

5 Likes

To make reference to the Matter threads, Zigbee is on the Mars rover and helicopter.

1 Like

I think it maybe also difficult to maintain a good mesh! :laughing:

1 Like

Some people carefully read patch notes to decide if a Firmware upgrade is beneficial to them.

Some people don't even think about Firmware until they have an issue that is fixed in a newer version.

Some people just click the button by habit when they see a new version is out.

No way is more right or wrong, just make sure you know why you are choosing it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I once heckled you in your stand up comedian guise :thinking: or would hope I did.

1 Like

Okay I admit I just bit and am updating the hub now. Per the release notes...

Bug Fixes.

• Device list page: fixed misaligned child devices when parent has a Zigbee id.

This MAY help the Hampton Bay ceiling fan controller which is basically 1 device with 2 child devices, behave in a more civilized manner... I am willing to take a shot at that...