What's The Attraction Of Smart Blinds?

The reasons I have not done this.

My need level: low
My want level: medium
My willingness to spend the money: low

If we get new blinds/shades, I’ll spend the extra dough for the automation, especially since our good friends own a blind business and I would want to give them the most profit for the job possible and credit with their vendors.

New windows are our next priority. It’s a house, so I expect one expense to trigger another :joy:

3 Likes

Isn't that against the law in most countries?
:grin:

Also, where did you find a smart one?
:blonde_woman:

8 Likes

I converted some of my standard blinds into smart blinds. I documented the entire process here: GitHub - joelwetzel/Hubitat-MQTT-SmartBlinds: Hubitat driver and NodeMCU (ESP8266) firmware for smart blinds

(Not so much for other people. I documented it for my future self, if I decide to convert some more. And since my future self is forgetful, I wrote it up as if writing for a stranger.)

My reason: I have an office in my attic. It's a finished attic, but it is up at the top of the house, and heat rises. It has two windows that get a LOT of sunlight in the morning. I automated the shades on them, and then created a rule that uses a brightness sensor to close them when it gets too bright, and reopen them later when the sun has moved on.

Result: In the morning, instead of being 8 degrees F warmer than the rest of the house, the office is now only 1 degree F warmer than the rest of the house.

3 Likes

Ha. Aren't blondes a bit out of vogue nowadays? Then again, for the most part I took whatever was available at the time.

1 Like

Aren't blondes a bit out of vogue nowadays

no!

1 Like

30 quid for a zigbee pull chain motor to convert dumb blinds to smart.

Why?

Automatic closing to stop my kitchen becoming an oven when the sun beats through.

Fun.

It's funny, today I'm updating our last blind....

Parts

Installing the right rod unit

4 Likes

I posted this elsewhere but I just stumbled across these. Anyone own them or have any info on them? I think it's the cheapest zigbee blind I've seen at $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Astomi-Rechargeable-Compatible-Customized-Vinyl-Pure/dp/B0B5DL5DM3

My wife is a natural blonde. She is a very intelligent woman, having worked in the medical, legal, and retail fields. Mainly people like Marilyn Monroe and Jane Mansfield reinforced the ‘dumb blonde’ stereotype.

1 Like

I wish I could automate my Bali Cellular Shades that are too down bottom up… love my shades and don’t want to replace them.