What would your best advise be for connection stability?

Hi,,

Whar would your best advise be for connection stability?

Solder.

2 Likes

What connection(s)?

So helpful. Calling your parents, expect to get a time-out. :wink:

5 Likes

OK. More help then. Wire nut next, electrical tape last.

1 Like

Can you restate the question?

It’s hard to understand what you’re referring to.

“Connection stability” could mean a lot of things.

3 Likes

When it comes to connection stability, there's simply no replacement for spending quality time with each other. Not incidental time like watching the same TV show, but real thoughtful joint activities.

7 Likes

And a babysitter.

download (18)

2 Likes

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

3 Likes

Magnus:

As you can see we have a lot of "funny people" here (including me). :wink:

But seriously, how can we help you - can you provide more details on what type of connectivity - devices to hub, hub to ethernet or Wi-Fi network, hub to internet?

1 Like

:smile: This was funny! Thank you all for a good laugh!

Sorry for an unprecise question! :slight_smile:

I was thinking about the stability of the zigbee (and to some extent z-wave) network :smile:

Some of my, mostly zigbee devices, loose connection from time to time. The loss of connection is random and there is no pattern that I can see. To improve this situation I have tried to make sure that there are enough nodes for the network to connect to and not to many connections directly to the hub. I have also checked that WI-FI, Zigbee and Z-Wave interferes as little as posible and so on.

I have also turned off the hub to get the nodes to rearrange and find each other in a more optimal way, but they dont seem to want that. In my zigbee network (pictured below, sorry for the swedish node names) the connections seem to be pretty random and not governed by proximity. A, B and C are very close by geographically but not connected. Same with G, H, I and J. Does that matter? Is it worth persuing? And if so how?

E and F are not supported Namron under floor heating thermostats and they seem to have a double conenction for some reason. K is a thrid namron under floor heating thermostat but without a double connection. One of them (E) frequently looses connection even though it is close by several other nodes.

I also have curtain motors that work perfectly 98% of the time but sometimes loose their connection. But they are connected through Home Assistant so they might have issues unrelated to HE.

All metioned have about 95% up time. Maybe that is what is to be expected? Not worth / possible persuing 100% up time?

Any thoughts?

:joy:

First - never apologize for having Swedish names. Presuming this is your native language it is entirely logical. If it isn't your native language, then it is incredibly clever. Certainly, it is fun to see some variety!

Proximity - this is one factor. The environment is another. A factor that does not get much attention is that the antennas on each device are imperfect. They transmit a bit stronger in some directions than others. They are more sensitive to receiving signals from some directions than others. Lots of anecdotal examples, but I will not bore you.

95% would frustrate me a great deal. For any devices that may be moved, I would try a different location or orientation. Many in the community would say that this is a good excuse to buy more devices for the health of the Zigbee mesh. If that is an option, then a couple of extra repeaters certainly wouldn't hurt.

There may also be value in looking at the Zigbee logs. This can help to confirm that the issue truly is weak signal strength.

1 Like

Do you have any Zigbee bulbs on the mesh? This was a big one for me with the old Sylvania bulbs.

1 Like

Thank you @Hatallica for your thoughts! Good food for thought. Tack så mycket! :sweden:

Hi @lairdknox ,
Please elaborate, were the bulbs a good thing or a bad thing? I have Philips Hue bulbs but currently run them in Hubitat via the Philips hue hub and CoCo Hue bridge app

Many Zigbee bulbs make poor repeaters. They are ok with bulb traffic but have trouble repeating other devices. I would randomly lose a device every few months. It would be fine after I paired it again. It started getting worse as I added motion sensors to the mesh. Ultimately I put the bulbs on their own mesh and have been happy since.

Some people never see the issue and for some it is bad. Some newer bulbs don’t act as repeaters. I ask because your symptoms sounded similar to what I experienced. Since you are running a separate hub it won’t be an issue. Just make sure you don’t have more than one hub on the same radio frequency.

1 Like