What will Elevate your setup in 2022

Well, in reading this post, I find myself thinking about the "elephant in the room".
How will "matter" (or whatever they are going to call it today), effect devices in the future? Or, will it have no effect at all?
Obviously the jury is still out, but it could have a monumental impact, or no impact, or something in between.
After seeing the companies line up behind it, it does appear that it has some "push" behind it.
Matter will be the most anticipated and watched rollout in this space. Will it succeed? Will manufacturers rush to produce matter enabled devices? Will there be a groundswell of new product announcements? I feel that no one knows, but it certainly bears watching.
2022 is the year that matter either takes hold, or gets buried.

3 Likes

So your question is "Will Matter matter?"

I’m hoping to settle on one Dashboard app and spend some time getting it right rather than toying with them all. It’s a time consuming aspect. Then I can install any wall mounted versions, if I deem they are appropriate.

I do hope to be able to stabilise the very few radio based devices I use by means of Matter and see if ZWave LR delivers. LoRaWAN has worked well for me so far for slow speed devices.

I will be moving more devices to MQTT and exploring what options I can really implement for a resilient ‘fail over’ automation system.

1 Like

My personal opinion is that it will take some time to get off the ground. They will release items that for the most part we already own and unless they give some amazing level of additional functionality I won’t be buying soon. Large companies are still releasing new zwave and zigbee products, I’m not worried or exited :man_shrugging:

I also wonder whether what you hear about shortages in chip manufacture may also play a part....

2 Likes

In terms of my lighting, I am also interested in having my lights transition throughout the day along the lines of circadian lighting, as well as incorporating lux readings into my rules.

1 Like

I have spent an absurd amount of time doing this over the last year. I can help with some circadian simulation :grinning:.

Outdoor lux readings have eliminated the cloudy day syndrom when your circadians are timeblocked.

3 Likes

Thanks. Do you use an app, or a combination of rules? Or both? I have been meaning to start using the Circadian Lighting app myself...

It's a collection of rules. I use webcore but it can easily be adapted to anything once you know the settings (I've done so much white light testing).

I did this out of necessity because my LEDs didn't come with the same native circadian that all my bulbs have.

I would definitely be open to using an app. I've converted the CT values to probably any combination of commands you have access to. Rgb, Hsl, or CT.

1 Like

What, ya gonna wait for July? :slight_smile: Doesn't get any cooler than now.

(just realized your post was 6d ago. Good job, me. :wink: )

2 Likes

It's about 82 here right now. I'll wait till a cold front comes in this weekend maybe. I got all the switches installed. The RGB lights in the hall are probably going to be the hardest to run without making a mess of things. I already got the RGB strips mounted in a channel with a diffuser and placed in their spot but the wiring to the attic is challenging because of the location. The hallway they are in is an arch and dropped down about 4 feet below where I can stand from. Additionally there is a large expanse to the side of it where I need to get to run the cable that doesn't have any way for me to walk on.

1 Like

I hear ya!!! Weird weather.

Yeah, that sounds like a royal pain. I would put that off, too.

It's the same down here..... And we're meant to be in Summer.... Cloudy and cool....

2 Likes

In 2022 I will (hopefully) be moving from the rented place I've been in since I got back from Germany in March, into a newly-built house.

Then I can move from the basic "learn how HE works" setup I have now, to a properly installed and sorted system. Motion detectors will be added to by switch3s, door/window sensors, doorbell, alarm, maybe thermostats, garage doors, outdoor lighting..

I can't wait :grinning:

1 Like

It is nice to have a chance to do something new, but also organise things once you know a little more about how things work and what you want to achieve. I'm doing the second of those myself, mapping out how I am going to break things up amongst my growing HE hub and rpi collection.

Someone needs to come up with a way to rapidly launch attack drones.

1 Like

Yeah I'm in no real rush, I'll just automate things that bug me. Lights and stuff first...

How is everyone going with their 2022 projects? Early in the year I know... And not that any post here was any kind of commitment.... :slight_smile:

I've been enjoying dabbling in improvements in dashboard styling, with my CSS editor and most recently getting a local Calendar developed. This may lead on to instructional videos for some of my creations.... and a more extensive web site in my GitHub pages repository, which I only came across as a result of taking on the EcoWitt drivers.

So like usual for me, plenty of balls in the air and few landing as I expect, but enjoying the process of getting them up there... Including the support from the Community...

I have to put up a fence soon and finish on the old house to get it on the market. Between having to frame out the basement of the new house for a gym and the attic for an office for my wife plus exterior painting and landscaping, my project list is pretty filled... ugh

Hopefully you can include some smarts in the gym and office....