What TV for controlibility from HE? (2023 Holiday purch)

Asking those of you that have dabbled in the TV control domain.

Using the future of Matter in HE (or not):
Looking to be able to turn on the TV,
mute or set volume if necessary,
change to HDMI input,

.....so far so good, I expect, ....but NOW....

with Amazon Fire up,
select an ONVIF App.

Then turn it all off after a bit of course.

I see TVs like LG's running WEBOS 23 that advertises MATTER but from a quick read on this I believe this is more about "controlling Matter devices" than it is being controlled by an external Matter-talking hub (like the future HE).

There seem to be threads discussing some of these control objectives but I guess I'm asking to be pointed in the right TV direction...in other words... "If you were buying a TV this holiday season, and were willing to wait for HE's Matter capabilities, what TV/manufacturer would you be looking at with high likelihood of facilitating the desired outcome"? ( Ignore the TV display technology, I'm looking for the rest of the story that would make this work. )

I do realize this control list might not all be in the TV's domain, for example the Amazon Fire App control (unless I use the TV's built-in Amazon capabilities).

Thanks in advance for your shared thoughts, experiences, and expertise in this area.

Newer TCL tv's should have matter soon. I have a 75QM850G which uses Google Tv. I mean honestly I only want the ability to turn it on/off but I can adjust volume etc... The two items I use are on media source change after 6 my lights dim, and I'm able to turn it off with my shutdown routine at night.

1 Like

This seems to sum up the state of Matter in TVs right now...
from article in The Verge mentioned in another thread.

1 Like

The Verge had a better article awhile ago about Matter TVs (Matter could bring universal casting for TVs and video players - The Verge). While it was primarily focused on casting, it mentions the core functions being available. There are several different types of TVs that can already be brought into Hubitat. Samsung, LG, Google, and Roku TVs can all be used in various automations.

With the above said, my advice is always buy the best screen at the size you want at a price point you are comfortable with spending. If the TV is not well integrated, you can always throw a Roku or Chromecast with Google TV on it to use in Hubitat.

1 Like

I recently bought a Samsung QLED Q60C and it is working very well with the Samsung driver developed by @djgutheinz. It allows complete control over the TV!

2 Likes