What to Automate?

My favorites are:

Alexa says "The microwave has finished", 1 minute after the power draw from the microwave drops below 50 watts. The message repeats 5 times (my wife sometimes ignores all 5 of them). :crazy_face: Once the door is opened for at least 2 seconds, the rule exits and it stops repeating.

Alexa says "Please close the microwave door" 1 minute after it has been left open and the microwave power is below 50 watts.

I accomplished these by using a contact sensor and one clamp from an HEM to measure the power on the circuit the microwave is plugged into. It could be accomplished with an energy monitoring plug like the Zooz ZEN 15 too. If you just attach a contact sensor to the door, then things are simpler than I have setup. My microwave is above a wall oven with a frame, so a contact sensor on the door wasn't going to work. I was too chicken to tap directly into the controller board, so I connected a relay to the microwave light. The relay closes and those contact are attached to the hall sensor of a SmartThings Multi-sensor, but any compatible contact sensor will work too. This way of doing it adds a level of complication since the light is also on when the microwave is running, so I have to measure the microwave power at 1 second intervals, and that causes a world of pain if you don't have that one a hub by itself.

So while this is a bit complicated, it's a really cool feature that I can adapt to ANY microwave oven.

Another favorite is Alexa says, "The washer has finished, and "The dryer has finished". These are accomplished differently for me since my dryer is old and my washer is a high efficiency front loader.

For the dryer, I connected a relay to the start button. In my dryer, when you push the start button, it physically connects contacts that both start the dryer and engage an electromagnet that keeps the contacts connected. When the timer is finished, power is shut off to the electromagnet, thus the dryer stops. By connecting a relay to the electromagnet, I get contacts that have no voltage on them, and are connected to another SmartThings multi-sensor in the exact same way the relay on my microwave is.

For the washer, it's more complicated, because my washer is so efficient that the running power is often the same as the idle power. I use the other clamp of my HEM to measure the running power, and compensate for pauses. However, while this works for most, it was inconsistent for me. So I also had to add a Homeseer Flex Sensor. This can tell the difference between the running light on my washer being solid, flashing, or off. So I get a trigger in my rule when the light has gone from solid to off for an extended period of time. But my washer being the pain in the arse it is, will give a false trigger if you pause the machine to add some laundry. So I measure BOTH the light status AND the power. This is 100% accurate (and it took me a long time to get to that point). The flex sensor is the best device for most washers in my opinion. My washer is also 220v, so that meant that the most economical way to do this was to use one of the clamps from an HEM.

The great thing about knowing when they are running, and not just when they are finished, is I have setup a routine in Alexa and tied in virtual switches, so I can say "Alexa, laundry status" and it will tell me if the washer is running, the dryer is running, both are running, or neither is running. We also get HE notifications when either machine has finished.

One very simple lighting automation that I do really like is to have my kitchen light turn off when it's after 11:30pm and no motion has been detected in the kitchen for 10 minutes. This behavior ends at sunrise.

That's it. Not complicated, but I do love to see the kitchen lights turn off by themselves when I see it in action!

A very useful automation is to again use a contact sensor for door open notifications, but on my fridge. Those of you with newer fridges that already have this are yawning right now, but my fridge is old and I don't have that. It's a top freezer type, so a single contact sensors covers both. I use a Xiaomi Mijia sensor because they are nice and small, so it's not this big ugly thing on the door. The sensor part is on the fridge door, and the magnet is on the freezer door. It took time to get the alignment just right, but if either is just slightly opened, like happens sometimes if something isn't put away properly, it triggers.

I have Alexa say "Please close the refrigerator door" after 1 minute, and cancel when closed. Simple but very effective. Once I put this in, I found that it triggers a lot, and that means I'm saving a lot of money with this simple automation!

Last that you might be interested in is the auto unlock of my front door. This isn't for everyone, but I've got mine working very reliably. I use three triggers to avoid any false activations. When either my wife or I leave our geofenced area with our phones and then return to the geofence, the first trigger is set. When either of our phones connect to our house WiFi, the second trigger is set. When a motion sensor at my front door is triggered and the other two triggers are also active, the door unlocks and our alarm system disarms.

The phone geofence and WiFi tiggers are then disabled until we leave the geofenced area. This prevents them from unlocking the door if a someone other that us walks up to the front door. The triggers are unique for my wife's phone and mine. So it must be one of us entering the geofence, and it must be one of our phones connecting to the WiFi.

It feels like magic to walk up to the door and see the keypad flash, showing me that my door has just unlocked.

1 Like

These are pretty awesome. I am a pivacy nut so I will be staying away from the Alexa/google and others right now. I am looking into possible sonos integration.

3 Likes

I have an IKEA Symfonisk bookshelf speaker and I like it a lot. If I didn’t already have the Alexa and Google Home Hub, I would use that for Sonos TTS notifications. It sounds really nice.

The ikea ones would be what I get. I do have some Hitachi speakers have not found a good integration

1 Like

Can you share this logic..looking to do a similar thing in my kitchen

Sure thing! I have several sensors in the kitchen/dining. Mostly over work areas and one or two that cover the rest of the room. I have them set up in zone motion. I have a virtual switch that turns on with motion and off when inactive. I have a rule that decides that movement might require more than just indirect lighting. It's been pretty accurate. Here are my rules.

if the VS remains on for 10 minutes then the light will turn on and time out with the normal switch rules.

1 Like

Awesome thanks

1 Like

Could you share the logic for the auto-unlock? About to install a Yale Zigbee lock...

It’s multiple rules and virtual switches and they’re old RM 3.0 rules. Let me see if I can convert it to RM 4 for you so it makes sense.

Might not get to it today, but I will do my best to post something in the next few days.

1 Like

OK, disclaimer. My rules work and they work well, but I'm not a developer and not good at writing complex rules. I take the Rube Goldberg approach. Lots of rules and lots of virtual switches.

I managed to reduce it by ONE rule :joy: but I couldn't see how to do it in fewer rules, and for some people, that just drives them nuts. For me, meh. If it works the way I want, I'm good.

So I'll do my best to explain what the parts are and how they work for me. Obviously you'll have different kinds of triggers unless you're using the same router, iOS and a hacked Xiaomi motion sensor at your front door. :wink:

Rule 1: When the motion sensor at my front door changes state, the rule checks to see if it's active. If it is, it cancels any delayed action that might already be counting down in this rule and flips on a virtual switch named Front Door Presence. If the motion sensor state changes, and it is not active, then it waits for 30 seconds before turning off the virtual switch Front Door Presence.

Why? Because I have a hacked Xiaomi Mijia motion sensor at my front door and it resets to inactive every 5 seconds. I want to have the sensor check for status quickly, but I don't want it to stay active for too long, But I also want it the react again to presence quickly and make the state active again, without having to wait 30 seconds for the sensor to go inactive before it will detect anything again.

So the rest is pretty self explanatory, but it helps to understand that the conditions are not virtual presence devices, they are all virtual switches. IF Doug WiFI presence is ON, Front Door Presence is ON, and Doug HomeKit presence is OFF, THEN a virtual switch that disarms my alarm system is turned ON for 1 second (this is the trigger for another rule that disarms two different alarm systems to it just needs to be ON briefly) and then unlocks my front door.

Why the virtual switches? Our WiFi presence is a feature of my TP-Link Deco M5 mesh router that uses IFTTT. When the MAC address of a specific device joins the WiFi network, it turns on an HE virtual switch specific to the device. And in HomeKit, you cannot control a virtual presence device, but you can set a HomeKit Automation to turn a virtual switch ON when you leave the geofence, and OFF when you arrive back inside the geofenced area. I can remember exactly why I chose to trigger based on that switch being OFF instead of ON, but I think it was something to do with a rule I added to prevent the unlock rule from triggering and unlocking the door if one of our phones (who am I kidding - my Wife's phone :rofl:) goes completely dead and then she charges it when we're home. What was happening is as soon as the phone turned on again, it was changing the HomeKit presence as if she had just re-entered the geofence, and if someone happened to be standing at the front door when that happened, since her phone was also on the WiFi, it would unlock the door when we didn't want it to.

Rule 2: To prevent accidental auto unlock as I mentioned before, this rule looks for a change on the front door sensor, or active on the two first motion sensors we hit when walking into the house in case the front door sensor or one of the virtual switches is out of sync or something hasn't responded for some reason, and we have to manually enter the code. If our HomeKit presence indicates we are in the geofenced area, then upon triggering, it pauses the rule so auto unlock cannot happen.

It probably should also stop the lock from opening because it pauses the unlock rule, based on who has arrive inside the geofence, but it doesn't seem to interfere, and the unlock rules don't activate again until after the next rule unpauses them again. Timing I guess. :man_shrugging:

Rule 3: This rule reverses the effect of the previous when we leave the geofenced area. It then resumes our individual unlock rules so they're ready for action the next time we return.

You're my hero. I'm using different stuff but you've given me a great platform to leap off of. I'm feeling prepared for the great experiment... thank you for sharing.

1 Like

I did something similar but I change the duration based on modes. First I setup two motion zones using the same sensors (Iris v2). I have a short zone trigger set to 5 seconds after motion stops and a long trigger set to 10 minutes.

I use these to control how long the lights will stay on based on mode.

You can ignore the first if. I’ve been using my outdoor sensors to test triggering the light.

So basically what it is doing is using the short trigger if the mode is set to bedtime, otherwise it uses the long trigger. Then within the activation section I further set the lights based upon the mode.

I’m still fiddling with it so the colors and levels aren’t dialed in.

I also have another similar rule that adds a Pico switch override and will eventually include a contact override as well. Lots of ways to accomplish the magic.

The garage door opener is plugged into a Z-Wave Outlet.

When we come home, it turns on, gives us time to get into the house
The garage door to the house is on a contact switch so we can unload the car and each time the house door is open, the garage door opener timer starts again... 5 mins later it shuts off the garage door opener. This way a bad actor can't break into the cars and use the opener to access the garage

Sky's the limit, have fun

Another WAF favorite, hot water tank recirculation pump is plugged into a Z-Wave outlet

Tell Alexa to turn on the hot water... 3-4 mins later there is hot water at the sink to do dishes or start the dish washer, no wasting cold water

I then have the master shower light switch to also turn on the hot water recirculation (and the exhaust fan) so by the time you... are ready to get into the shower, the hot water is there, no wasting cold water waiting for it to get hot.

Our master bath is opposite the hot water heater, 2 mins and the shower is hot, 2 mins later it has arrived in the kitchen

I enjoy helping others spend their money, my wifes does that well enough for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do this as well without the timer. Specifically tied to "extended away" and "home" modes.
Now that I type this I need to extend this to "sleep".

1 Like

Thanks for all of the awesome ideas. I have gone a bit over board the last week. I now have 10 rules based on motion or contacts for my Carport,Office Kitchen, Laundry room and our Guest/Storage room.
In addition to those I have Lock automation when setting the house to away or sleep. I am also building extension to the Sleep/Awake rules to make the more beneficial

My wife's favorite right now is the pantry light working when you open the door. I added the light using the method used here Finally got around to adding lights (LED strips) to two of our closets today. (lots of pics)

Also used the strips to add Under Cabinet lights

3 Likes

@Hasty1
Sounds like you have been staying busy, Under Cabinet lights looks real good!

Wife loves our new closet lighting inspired by @nkyspike as well. Waiting on 1 more set of light/contacts to finish the pantry.

Her only complainant is, now that she can see the mess, she needs to clean it! :laughing:

3 Likes

This is a good idea. Except my door has a backup battery.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.