What Makes a Good Home Automation LAN (Wi-Fi and/or Wired)?

We will have to agree to disagree, but I am going with my Network Administrator's defintion, who sets up and runs some of the most dense wifi environments in my city of over 1 million people and is paid accordingly for his knowledge and ability to do this job.

1 Like

More importantly does he suggest Turkey or Prawns... ? :wink:

1 Like

Canadian Thanksgiving was over a month ago (October 10). So it is definitely Prawns !!!

2 Likes

Then we are more similar than many will realise.... :slight_smile:

As we say in Canada, both Americans and Canadians believe Jesus walked on water. Canadians just believe the lake was frozen.

6 Likes

We believe he was just trying to find a good break...

1 Like

First, prawns for Thanksgiving is a non-starter. But I learned something new today. Thank you, OED.

Australian colloquial . the raw prawn: something which is hard to swallow or difficult to believe; an act of deception, a swindle. Chiefly in to come the raw prawn (over, with, etc.): to attempt to deceive; to treat as foolish or gullible (usually in negative contexts).

2 Likes

Both?! My wife's family (Korean) has a tradition of a wonderful mixed TG dinner, which includes turkey, stuffing, and other traditional American dishes, my family's famous Baked Macaroni and Cheesestravaganza (family tradition since the early 1900's), and then add in japchae (Korean noodle dish) and a bunch of different banchan (small side dishes), kalbi (Korean BBQ ribs), spicy Italian sausage (a tradition my wife's father added), soup of some kind (Koreans eat a LOT of soup), and - wait for it - shrimp is also a tradition (prepared in any of a variety of ways).

Have to admit, I look forward to my wife's family's TG feast more than our own... :smiley:

2 Likes

OMG!!!, I am probably a thousand miles away, but how do I get an invite? :grinning:

1 Like

Stopping by for some jam bong and ja ja min...
Our favorite korean place closed. Nothing near us anymore.

1 Like

OMG!! Twins! Jjampong is my favorite Korean food! Actually Chinese/Korean hybrid related to Chinese immigrants into northern Korea in the past. :smiley: This soup is not to be missed, just a bowl full of yum.

Just had jjampong yesterday on my way home from a haircut. Local Korean market has a great food court and one of the best jjampongs I've ever had (and that includes jjampongs I've had in Korea). Wife and I do the jjampong/jajangmyeun combo all the time and split/share. Sorry to hear you lost a local restaurant, that is a bummer when it happens.

Note to novices...many, many napkins are a must. This soup has a lot of gochugaru (Korean red chili pepper powder/flakes) and when you accidentally take an aggressive slurp you will end up with a red splatter pattern all over your clothes. I always wear a red shirt if I know I'm going to be having it :smiley:

@sburke781 - sorry for derailing!

2 Likes

This is really all about symantics. You are talking about protocals and limiting it to a single technology. A topology methodology isnt that specific.

I am limiting it to the 802.11 protocol which is the protocol for wifi. What you say may be right in regards to a zigbee mesh and a zwave mesh. But in regards to wifi and what a wifi mesh is and is not, this is defined by the wifi protocol and that is 802.11

And the 802.11 protocol is clear concerning what is a wifi mesh, the protocol is the authority on this matter.

Any of the other non-network engineers that are using UniFi gear and segmented their network onto a few VLANs successfully have any suggested resources to take a look at?

Iā€™ve been wanting to do it but Iā€™m fairly certain thereā€™s likely to be a greater risk of me breaking everything than there is of an actual threat on my LAN being isolated from otherwise doing something harmfulā€¦

I did too, until I came across a video from Lawrence Systems, he made to setup/config simple...even for me !

I am a tech wanna-be, and make do by following "cook-book" tech recipes and figuring things out if they start to go south. :slight_smile: So we may be similar types. I LOVE tech but my brain is not what I would call full tech-enabled by nature. :wink: I have a relatively simple setup - two VLANs on an ER12, a bunch of managed switches (Netgear) and one Unifi AP (U6-LR) that services the whole house very well.

Ubiquiti has an excellent How-to for Vlans on Edgerouters on their web site - I followed it for my Edgerouter. I would think that they would have similar for whatever of their gear you are using. Have you tried searching through their help & support docs for VLAN setup info?

I also did some general googling for Edgerouters/VLANs and found the info on those sites helpful to confirm I understood what I was doing from the UI help docs.

3 Likes

I use an EdgerouterX and Unifi switches & APs with one main LAN and an IoT VLAN. In my experimenting, I only locked myself out of the Edgerouter once and had to reboot and reload a backup. :smile:

The only thing I can't seem to get to work across VLANs is the Chromecast integration. I have MDNS enabled like I think I need to but Hubitat never finds my Google device. I wish HE would let you enter the IP address manually as an option.

I was/am a network newbie and Crosstalk Solutions was helpful on YouTube.

3 Likes

I would think so too, and although there are help articles related to VLANs on the Ubiquiti website, there isnā€™t really a comprehensive how-to.

Thanks Iā€™ve seen they have a bunch of videos on YouTube but havenā€™t watched any yet, will check it out.

1 Like

What Ubiquiti devices are you running?

1 Like

UniFi UXG-Pro, a PoE switch and a few APs (all UniFi).

1 Like