What is the current recommendation for Garage door opener?

I have a fibro double relay on mine, so the app is written to either use one switch (push open push again to close) or two (one to open and a different one to close). Put a lot of work in the app and virtual device. A guy in the us did a lot of testing for his gate and gave me the lowdown on us health and safety re automated doors etc

Just need some free time to move it over

1 Like

Already been in that rodeo. Our realtor advised us to remove everything. The problem is that the house needs these things anyway. Much like a car, those added things are preference and won't add value because they need to be there. Smart or not. That same technology can actually turn off buyers because they don't know how to use it. When we sold our house two years ago, we took it all. When you sell, things need to be in working order. Have light switches and plumbing, etc. Nothing else matters.

I could leave all mine in and no one would notice, all stand switches with modules hidden

I've been told that too. The good thing is that putting in dumb switches is wayyyyyy easier then putting in smart switches. So undoing that won't take me long.

I pulled all of mine out of the house we sold a little less than 2 years ago. I was on Iris at the time and I had a lot of switches pictured below. If I knew then what I know now I would have just left them unconnected to a system and start over. It was a lot of work and only two of them were Z-Wave plus. I now have these switches installed in my new home and I find that with HE I really need Z-Wave Plus because polling doesn't work and it bogs down the hub.

1 Like

Gdz-004 zwave plus model, not the non plus model, is the best option out there.

Just disconnect the Zooz Multi-relay and remove the tilt sensor, and everything else will still be wired "dumb" just like it was before. :slight_smile: If I wanted to make a garage door opener smart today, this is probably the way I'd go. The Zooz is a lot cheaper than any garage door module, and their triple relay is cheaper than a lot of single ones (with which this has really always been possible), especially when it's on sale. The only bad thing is that you're not 100% in compliance with the code in many areas that requires this beeping or flashing before remote closures, but as long as you're willing to assume that risk...

I do get the general point, though, and as such, I avoid making weird permanent modifications to my house. It's a habit I got into when renting, but one I still think about when owning because of what I'd do if I ever sold. :slight_smile: If I still had a garage, this would be one of those things I'd be OK with.

I recommended the Linear to a friend, not because it was necessarily good (not thrilled about people who report that the whole thing stops working if the LED goes out) but because it was apparently the only off-the-shelf "official" option in the US at the time--and still apparently is. I'd probably have recommended the Aeotec just based on name if that product was anywhere to be found on this continent.

And to echo the above: I'd whole-heartedly recommend steering away from MyQ or any cloud-based solution. MyQ doesn't integrate officially with Hubiat (or much of any "real" automation systems, except a few, and some have a charge), though there are unofficial ones. Beyond this, I don't see any good reason to necessarily make this go through the cloud when you could just do it locally and still expose whatever you want to the cloud after that if you want.

1 Like

I installed a MIMOlite a few weeks ago and itโ€™s been working great. I hard wired a reed sensor to it for opened/closed functionality. Itโ€™s not been in use for a long time but it is another option you could look into.

What's the best way to figure out how to wire a chamberlain to this zooz relay? (sorry for the newbie question)

On older garage doors or non MyQ openers you can run a set of wires from the dry relays to the same spot the buttons connect to.

If itโ€™s a myq GDO then that might not work because the wall button is not just a simple button. You would either need to solder the wires to a remote or to the button on the wall once you find the correct spots to solder too.

Itโ€™s really not that difficult. There are a few YouTube videos out there. I posted one on this forum but hard to find it on my cell.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.