What is the best way to automatically start a repeat, if stopped?

A rule watches a device that does not report changes.
Repeats every 5 seconds if on, every minute if off.
I edit, hub reboots, anything that causes it to stop, and the checking is lost, rule has stopped. It needs to have a trigger so if rule is not repeating, "run actions"

Polling comes to mind, rather than the RM method currently chosen.
Not sure how to do that!

Thanks,

Please share a screenshot of your existing rule, as that will greatly aid in the community’s ability to provide assistance.

2 Likes

I realize this doesn't answer you needs, but why are your repeats stoppable? And why do you have "Stop Repeating Actions" as a command? After all, don't you want the repeats to occur whether "Vizio1 on Flo-Control" is on or off?

The solution might be to wait for 2.3.1 to be released, where I believe that RM has a new trigger that can be used in this situation.

You could simply use a Periodic Trigger for the rule, and remove the “repeats”.

Out of curiosity, what type of device needs to be polled every 5 seconds when it is on?

Paranoia and the hope of not having the rule running multiple instances.

A Vizio TV, using a 3rd party integration.

Have you considered asking the developer of the Vizio TV integration to make changes to alleviate the need for your Rule all together?

UPDATE: Looks the developer of the following Vizio integration has not been active in the community for over a year. If I were you, I'd simply add a user setting to the driver to allow the selection of a polling interval. Then simply add some code to schedule the refresh() command to run every time that interval expires. You could even get fancy and have two intervals, one for when the TV is ON and another when it is OFF.

I wish I had the skill set to accomplish the above.
I would also attempt to have it report the current channel, or at least if it successfully changed!