What does the Sonos Integration provide?

I just installed a Sonos One (only the one unit). It seemed to be working fine with only the "Amazon Echo Skill". Is the Sonos integration app only to talk through the speaker or are there other capabilities?

You can control playback and volume, along with generating and playing text to speech (TTS) using the Sonos integration.

So the Sonos integration is useful if you want to pause, play, or adjust volume in automations or if you want to use TTS as a notification device.

2 Likes

Great, thank you.

So do you think I can:

• Using RM
  • Make some sensor measurement.
  • Create an Echo Skill function (i.e. now I have things like "Alexa, Turn on garage flood") but it would have TTS announce the sensor measurement.

If I get what you're thinking of. Yes.

Create a virtual switch named "garage brightness".

Create a rule triggered by turning on the "garage brightness" switch.

Create a local variable in the rule named "glux"

The rule would turn off the "garage brightness" switch

Set the variable glux to the value of the sensor (e.g., lux for the garage sensor).

Speak "The garage is %glux% lux bright now." to your Sonos speaker

With that, you should be able to say "Alexa, turn on the garage brightness" and it should read that back.

1 Like

One significant thing it can't do is group speakers together for synchronised play.

1 Like

That is true -- grouping is the feature most lacking from the built in integration in my opinion, though I can understand why the Hubitat team doesn't see something that vendor-specific as a core functionality.

To fill the gap, I run an instance of the excellent node-sonos-http-api on a RPi and use a little integration with it that I wrote for Hubitat: Control Sonos Music in 2020? - #26 by tomw

1 Like