What does '!=' mean?

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate that.

I never quite got my head around variables so perhaps it's a good opportunity to learn now - I've made it work with the below app so I am not in a rush at the moment, I might look at look variables on the weekend.

Capture 2

1 Like

One way or another, the previous values have to be remembered, and then math done with the new value and elapsed time, to come up with rate of change. Do it on paper to figure out the steps. Then you can figure out from there how to put those values into variables, and what the math steps need to be. The problem for RM to do internally is that this is not a simple calculation at all, and requires remembering a lot of information.

By comparison, to come up with *increased* it just has to compare the new value to the prior value. Once it supported *changed*, *increased* and *decreased* came very cheaply using the same remembered value. Comparing two values is a core function of RM, but remembering information for complex calculations is not and can be done already by other means.

1 Like

By the way, the in operator allows a range of values, to test if the event value is within a range, as opposed to > or < some specific value. That might help this case.

2 Likes

To Bruce's point...the extra math and variable storage requirements are why the community app was created for humidity sensors and bathroom fans. This app has been absolutely solid and I'm sure if you drop a request, the dev would be able to add a contact sensor to disable the humidity check.

1 Like

Although I did not read this whole thread to see what @hpgurgel is trying to exactly, consider it requested. There is already a "Disable smart mode with switch", I am sure I could either add contact sensors to the same menu, or add a second menu for a contact sensor.

I am getting pressured to release my app officially so I guess I need to get on it. Seems like I am done with my drivers for time being so I should have some time.

2 Likes