What dev tools do I need?

I’ve been working on an app but it’s been very difficult without debugging tools.

What do people use to debug their code? All I’ve been doing is inserting a ton of logDebug lines. Is that the best approach or is there any tools that help me out in my app creating adventure?

Thanks for any info and tips anyone has for me.

-Alli

If you don't have anything Hubitat-specifc, you could put parts of your code in a regular Groovy IDE. This may be useful if you have a specific method you're trying to test that doesn't need anything provided by Hubitat's sandbox environment, for example.

Otherwise, I think you're doing about all you can from inside the Hubitat environment: a log.debug (or similar; sometimes I use other log levels that stand out more at a glance) statements can give you can idea of what runs when and can be used to spit out variable or setting values, which can also be helpful. I usually use a third-party code editor, but that's my preference for other reasons and doesn't offer any specific advantage here. (This is more or less how Hubitat staff wrote all the built-in apps, as far as we've been told, so we have similarly been told it should be adequate for the task. I wouldn't count on anything changing in thus regard soon; such requests have come up occasionally.)

2 Likes

There are a few threads here worth reading:

and

I've found https://groovyconsole.appspot.com/ useful if i just want to validate straight Groovy code that doesn't have any dependencies on HE.