What cool automations have you made for your dog?

It's sad now that you mention it, that I have not thought about her as much in our home automation. I have added only one thing and it's a dual purpose automation.

Using my outdoor Hue motion sensor, I had the garden lights turn on automatically, so that after they go out for night, they will turn back on for her when she needs to do her business. This also helps the camera image in the back if a person might be lurking about.

1 Like

My wife got our small one a unicorn costume for Halloween that lights up the horn and neck. But, I figured, screw it, she should use it all fall and winter as the lights on the thing are BRIGHT! LOL For my big one, we got him one of those light up collars. Between both those, I don't need to turn on outside lights as both dogs glow in the dark now. Kinda cool.

#EnergySavingsForME #KillTheEnvironmentWithBatteriesTho

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/bootique-unicorn-light-up-dog-hoodie

2 Likes

Let me know if that works out. I don't really want to have one of those giant water tanks for her water, but I do want something that could notify me if her water bowl is empty.

Ok, ‘’WE’ll” let you know :joy:.. official beta tester here. Also, is it just for water? If so, there’s easier ways

Yeah, she doesn't over-eat, so that's not an issue. What do you suggest for water?

I thought of something like that, but my family likes to do stuff for no reason, so an open close counter wouldn’t work. I was thinking some kind of scale I sit my 70lb container on. Once it reaches 40lbs I receive an alert and they get more intense as time goes on

I just look in the bag . If it's low......:grin:

1 Like

So low tech... LOL

1 Like

I think if you have a smart enough dog (or cat) they will automate things on their own. Think about how many things they get you to do . . . automatically. Amazing animals.

2 Likes

Yeah... scroll up... my dogs totally use my automations... against me... LOL

It was the inspiration for my comment.

1 Like

I use my dogs to automate the home light when we are out in the evening.
They walk around, setting off different motion sensors that are only active when we are ‘away’
This way the house always looks active :slight_smile:

Andy

4 Likes

Way back in the 70's I had 2 dogs whose water bowl seemed to always run dry. I was able to get a couple solenoid valves, some socket timers, the kind with the knob on top. Ran a water line from under the sink and a line to the drain. Set the times so every so often it would drain the bowl and then refill. Worked pretty good. And that was high tech back then.

2 Likes

For water refill YouTube “ keurig automatic water fill‘’..... same concept

1 Like

Maybe I should have patented it and went into production..

I guess I'm lucky the kids have no interest in feeding the dogs haha. I can totally see the count getting messed up playing with the bin. I like your idea, I wonder if something exists or can be modified.

@j715 well that just takes all the fun out of it :grin:.

3 Likes

I did take the motion sensors out of HSM when armed. But that was more for my convenience that his. It does keep him from being yelled at by Alexa and told to leave.

He eats in about 5 seconds flat whatever I'm willing to put in his bowl. So no need to keep track of whether he's finished his meal or not.

He is becoming fond of turning lights on. :roll_eyes:

We had a Cocker Spaniel once that ate like that. Ate anything and everything . We called him a stomach on legs...:grinning:

Not sure. ‘Reverse scale’ would be super useful, depending on how cheap someone sold them I’d use them for a lot. Know when my dogs laying in his crate. Even measure cereal if there cheap enough

1 Like

I am wondering whether we need @bobbyD to add new Hubitat Groups? Should it be divided by just dogs and cats or do we need to have more granularity like subdivided by breeds perhaps.

1 Like