Well this sucks (Logitech discontinues Harmony lineup)

This is so new that it’s really nothing to worry about right now. There will likely be a buyer that will continue the service. And hopefully continue supporting the newest remotes, together with improvements, and unreleased product that logitech just wasn’t willing to put money into.

Yes the Alexa remote was a stupid idea, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other never released remotes that offer improvements over what they have now.

If they haven’t found a buyer in the next three years, then maybe there’s a cause for concern. But there’s a good chance in five years I’m going to find the remote to be irrelevant anyway.

You mean just like what happened with squeezebox?

8 Likes

That seems completely Myopic and extremely unlikely. A complex home theater setup is unlikely to be effectively controlled by a Google Cast remote. Not even in the same league as a good Home Theater control system unless, the Cast remote suddenly drank Red Bull and sprouted wings.

Logitech has never really had their heart in the Harmony. It had so much potential early in the game, and even later with the IR blaster or whatever they call it.

Wait, you mean this? Seriously? Surely you this isn't what you're referring to! Not even if it drank Redbull, AND had wings. Not in the same solar system really.

I'm sure my google fu failed me, and this device can't be what you are referring to.

But the Harmony is really not in Logitechs wheelhouse I think, and thus they neglected it, and now they have killed it...sadly, like many good products before it.

S.

1 Like

So unpopular I had to Google it. A squeezebox is something momma has, and daddy never sleeps at night. :wink:

6 Likes

:rofl:

Even funnier because I’m an original squeezebox owner from way back when.

4 Likes

So unpopular there is a great HE integration for it:

Still a great device after all these years.

3 Likes

Not so - it was a pioneering product and still very loyal users.

3 Likes

Yeah, me too...

1 Like

Me too.

1 Like

Never heard of it.

Me three :smiley:

1 Like

After all these years the sound quality still can't be beat (unless you go into 5 figure audio components), and it had such a classy look. The digital VU meters where great, everyone loved them.

Still have mine directly plugged into a B&K ST1400 Power Amplifier.

2 Likes

I've got a number of squeezeboxen. So configurable and capable. Using IFTTT integrating to an app running on my Hubitat I can use voice commands to control the players, sync them, search for specific albums, artists and tracks etc. But, most of all, they sound great.

I have a practically brand new one in the box if anybody wants one. Its the Harmony Hub (model 915-000238). I pulled it out, tried to set it up. Put it back in the box and on the surplus shelf.... The software for the Mac was awful. I understand that the Windows version was much better but I don't use Windows..... I opted for the Global Cache Itach IP2IR route instead...

Of course. I just bought one!
Excellent timing, as usual.
I just bought the Harmony ultimate, and was just about to start programming it!

I have the hub and Elite remote.

The Harmony software for Windows sucks, big time. Hard to believe that the Mac version is even worse. Can't say much for the mobile app either.

The Harmony hardware is/was pretty good though. Too bad they couldn't get their act together with the software side of things, but once the hardware is set up, it's reliable.

3 Likes

I hope a real competitor to Harmony becomes available.

HDMI CEC sucks in my experience, and there is no consumer/non-pro alternative to Harmony today.

A lot of people left in the lurch long term...

5 Likes

It is a shame that Logitech have stopped producing the hardware. But the existing and as yet unsold remotes should continue to work for a long time. They are still running mysqueezebox.com and they canned that range years ago. My guess (and obv. it is just a guess) is that by the time the remotes stop being supported we will probably have more polished alternatives. Maybe voice control that actually understands me most of the time! :smile: Maybe combined with camera based gesture control (I'm thinking facial recognition combined with xbox-like gesture recognition).

(although having seen this thread, I may have just bought a spare Harmony Companion so I can extend the lifetime of the one element of our smart home that my wife appreciates).

1 Like

I'll never prefer voice over a remote for things like volume adjustment and channel changes. On/off and input changes are probably workable via voice, but not volume and channel.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this. The technology is not yet at a point to allow this to work consistently, and sometimes it is just easier to press a button.