webCoRE vs RM?

I seen that WebCore officially have been released. I don’t really know what WebCore is so I’m hoping someone can enlighten me. :slight_smile:

• Is WebCore better than RM?
  • Will WebCore replace RM?
  • Should I rewrite all my Rules in WebCore?
  • If WebCore isn’t better than RM, why did WebCore officially got an app when there was a user app already?

Happy Mew Year to all of you!

There are no objective answers to some of these questions; "better" is a matter of opinion, but you can certainly try both apps out and see if you prefer one over the other for some reason. That might mean one is "better" for you.

Rule Machine is not going away. There is no reason to move anything. I suspect the reason for its inclusion in the platform is to make it easier to install for new users (and keep updated for existing users). One push for making that change now could be that a certain other platform for which it was originally written is getting rid of their "classic" development environment, and in turn everything that runs on it, so this helps them get a migration path for their automations (and many devices) in the face of that. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for answering. It is then what I thought, a way to bring ST users over to our side. :slight_smile:

I like RM a lot but will try WebCore to see what WebCore brings to the table. Maybe I switch, maybe I don’t. I like that we have the option to decide for ourselves.

6 Likes

I am following just for the replies.

I don’t know webCoRE at all, nor ST. I have a developper background, and I was put off at first by coding through drop downs in RM, but I got used to it, and I now have somewhat complex rules (and about 30 of them).

I am curious to know if webCoRE allows to do things that RM can’t, or whether it is just a different UI. I am not looking forward to migrate rules I have to another thing…

Everyone who responds to this could give you a different answer. It’s mostly a personal preference.

2 Likes

There is no reason to migrate to webCoRE. It does have a different graphical UI for creating pistons, that runs on a website. Many users on ST had no other option for rule engine, while Hubitat users have had both choices from quite some time. webCoRE has been a community supported implementation from the same source that runs on ST. So the only change is making that community app into a built-in app. This simplifies getting updates to it, but it's still the same it's been for some time.

7 Likes

Bottom line is that while the UI is different both are excellent rule engines and have almost identical capabilities. I think of it not so much as an either or, but an and - nice to have options…

7 Likes

Have you considered writing your own custom apps? Rule Machine and webCoRE exist so you don't have to, but both are GUI-based editors. If you'd rather write actual code to perform arbitrary automations instead, it's an option too!

There are many new docs on this subject, with this probably being one of the best to get started on apps:

Just another option since it addresses one issue you mentioned. :slight_smile: (And it's the same way apps like Rule Machine itself, plus many far simpler apps, were written.)

7 Likes

And, both Rule Machine and webCoRE began as user implemented custom apps. Just shows how far that path can take you.

13 Likes

I did write a zigbee driver for Stelpro Allia thermostats. I am aware I can write raw code, but it did not seem required for the kind of rules I wanted to write which are, after all rather simple (ifs, elses, require expressions, triggers, variable maths and actions). Not the end of the world to do it through drop downs, and it is idiot proof, you can hardly make typos.

I find the UI of webcore to be far more intuitive/flexible.

But as advised above, horses / courses.

1 Like

WebCore dummy here...
Does WC depend on an internet connection (cloud)?
When you search "WebCore" on the internet, it speaks of pricing and a cloud connection.
I just updated today to the latest release and tried to Add Built-in App and it couldn't find Webcore.

If you just updated, wait a bit new apps lazy load. As to internet required, yes and no. The default configuration uses an internet web server as the editor host, there is, however, an option to host your own (Hubitat will be assuming control of this hosting for the new implementation). Regardless of which editor hosting option you choose, the pistons run locally on the hub.

1 Like

Had to boot the hub and it showed up.

In general, they pretty much have the same basic abilities for creating automations.

There are a few things you can't do as easily or directly in RM that you can do in webCoRE. E.g., string manipulation, as in this example piston I had on SmartThings.

My solution for that on Hubitat has been to use a custom app and a Rule together. The end result is that it works better - the logic in the piston wasn't quite correct.

(the problem with my piston stems from webCoRE ending up being a general programming language, which is one of it's strengths. Ironically, that RM is not a general programming language is one of it's strengths)

1 Like

To create and edit pistons, yes, at least within the default configuration (it is possible to run this on your own hardware locally with some effort). To run them, no; that is local on Hubitat.

Certain features do require the internet, like email (I think that's still a feature?) or push notifications (as they do in any app), but that should be expected.

I just Googled it and found the official https://webcore.co site as the top result, where I don't see any mention of pricing. There has never been any charge to use it. Not sure what else you may have found, but that's where I'd look!

4 Likes

If the wiki that @bertabcd1234 found accurately describes webcore as it will exist on HE, I suggest the HE staff make that a sticky. Personally, I had no earthly idea what webcore was, or what it might do for a HE user. I suspect that's true for many others.

I'm intrigued by this addition, and as someone who has found Rule Machine powerful but not intuitive to use, I'm looking forward to trying webcore out. I just had no idea what all the excitement was about, and suspect that was true for many others.

Been playing around with webCoRE a little but now and webCoRE is not for me.
Dont like the UI and creating pistons is not as fast (for me) as making rules.

But I do like that we have the option to chose and if webCoRE can attract new users, that will make Hubitat grow and continue to evolve.

1 Like

RM Logic is very clear and intuitive however GUI isn't.

1 Like

agreed, but the new RM is a lot better, lots of impovements. I wish that the old RM would let you convert them to the new RM engine.
with that being said, WebCore is generaly not going to change since the code seems more text based, you will just get new functions in the future i assume