WeatherFlow Battery Question

For windows when it's raining I have a virtual switch that activates @bertabcd1234 's Device Status Announcer and sends a TTS/Phone Message telling me exactly what window is open if one is.... Been pretty darn reliable. (I have sensors on all 36 windows in the house)

Now I have to go back and update everything to tell me which window(s),

Oh man I use the weather data for lots of rules but I am pulling real time data from the UDP broadcast via WeeWX into MQTT into the hubitat;

Lux rules controls the background lighting of the home during occupancy. The only issue in winter when I have a shadow that falls across the Tempest and the daytime background lighting comes on but it's just a small annoyance.

Wind rules I use my Lanannouncer to send out voice alerts when we get a lot of wind, don't want my patio chars and other things to be lost to the neighborhood

Some magic with temperature delta's between the inside of the home and outdoor temperature to try to beat the Ecobee algorithm. I doubt I am better than Ecobee when it comes to climate but it is a fun project.

Sensor summaries on the Dashboard

I am working on snow data. I notice with raw data that snow falling on the rain sensor registers data but Weatherflow ignore that info as rain in their native API's but with the UDP data I can see it and I set a snow flag whe the temperatures are below 34 degrees. I have been testing this since last winter and it's about 80% accurate.

1 Like

I've been meaning to do this

I do something similar - I setup a UDP listener on port 50222 in Node-RED, and then use NR to push data from Tempest into a Hubitat virtual device.

This sounds interesting to me. Are you able to elaborate and share what you are doing?

I put a year of outdoor temperatures in a spreadsheet and then cross referenced with the smart recovery data from ecobee data (pre heat, pre cool) and then based on say 30 to 60 minutes range of pre activity determine if the setback is saving any money. What I found is that the cost of cooling after many away events when the outside temp is above a threshold not to allow the ecobee set the temperature. So with a bit of coding parts of the table it seems to work. Don't know how much I am saving but if I look back over a 3 month cooling season I may have reduced the run time of A/C a few hours. Now with work from home there isn't a opportunity for the thermostat to go into away mode so all that work isn't doing anything.

Just updating the thread. I'm getting a warranty replacement.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.