Washing machine on a plug with power reporting?

So where else are we supposed to plug in our appliances? No different than a standard UK socket is it?

If you had two high consumers in a kitchen - Washing Machine & Dishwasher as an example, and there was a chance that they would be running simultaneously, the solution is just to have two single sockets as each is rated at 13 Amps.

I believe the thread was this one, which I recommend @NiallG might want to scan through for the discussion of the issues with using power monitoring for the washer.

2 Likes

Rated for 25A

Or a circuit breaker

1 Like

I use these too.

I wish we could sort out how to disable the local on|off switching of the sockets though.

Found the original thread I got the idea from.

You can, but sadly not included in the driver.

My workaround for some (like the fridge) is, if its turned off, turn back on.
Works a treat :+1:

Unfortunately that messes up the programming on my washing machine though, it doesn’t resume.

I have some aurora doubles power monitoring is not great imho, i have click smart single and doubles no power mointering.
Both the aurora and clicksmart are my preferred as they are not plugin sockets.

I have various gen of smartthing plug in sockets all work very well and a few aeotec ones which imho give the best power monitoring.

You can do that with the Fibaro outlets. It's not feature as such - they simply stop working after a few weeks - I've had 3 fail :laughing:

No, I'm not interested in its power consumption.

I want to know when it's finished. Laundry room's at the other end of the house, no reason to go there unless we're putting washing in, or taking it out. A power reporting plug would trigger a notification when it's done.

Ok, someone was saying that the sensor burns through batteries because it's constantly picking up vibration until it's not when the machine is finished.

I take it you mean the Fibaro FGWPG-111 plug? That's very interesting, thank you for that info. My machine is AEG as well, rated at 2200W.

I don't know the ins and outs of all the electrical stuff (that's why I'm on here!), just reporting what the Innr engineer wrote.

He said to me 'don't use anything with an inductive load on it', and that's a washing machine.

That's an interesting option, I'll look at that...

@NiallG Yes I have the FGWPG-111 plug. My AEG (for reference) is the 7000 series model number L7FC8432BI.

I appreciate that and although I'm electrically qualified I thought I'd take a quick peak at the Fibaro website....see the icons in the image below:

Fair to say that's a washing machine!

Perhaps, I have been using this method for a couple years now and I think I have changed the battery twice. The first battery did seem to go out pretty quickly, but the two replacements have seemed to last long enough that I haven't consider it a problem. I don't know exactly how long they last, I changed the last battery some time in the last 3 to 6 months as I remember. and it is currently at 85%. It's one of the smartthings multi sensors, not sure your can get them anymore.

I am now using this device note app to add a note of the battery type and when I changed it last to any device when I change a battery, so maybe once I start really keeping track of it I may consider it too short. My memory for stuff like this is bad so maybe I am switching them more often.

Heh heh, I just saw that washing machine icon on the Fibaro website before I came back on here.

Looks like I'll go for that one...does it pair with the Hubitat easily?

Yes it pairs fine and picks up the correct driver. As they support S2 just click “skip” during pairing for no security.

Yes of course, I should have thought of that. It's been discussed before.

Are you dead set on a passive solution? You might consider a Raspberry Pi (or similar small computing device) with a microphone, which is programmed to listen for the exact tone that your washer emits at the end of the cycle. That could call an endpoint in HE to trip a virtual switch. Obviously not as simple as a power sensing outlet, but one Raspberry Pi could be programmed to listen to both your washer and dryer's end of cycle tones and kill two birds with one stone.

If your washer doesn't have an end of cycle tone, you could listen for some other sound, like the sound of the door/lid lock solenoid releasing, etc.

An Alexa device can also listen for "appliance beeping". I use this for my dryer since it is 220V.

Pro: Can be cheap if you buy a Dot when it is on sale for $9.99 or less. And takes just a few minutes to set up.

Con: At present, it reacts to any appliance beeping. Sometime this year, it may support custom sounds. Feature may not be available in UK; haven't checked.