Wanting Device Advice

Currently running Xeoma in a docker container and I've ran it on a rpi and have ran Kerberos.io as well. Xeoma is more full featured and expensive for those features.

I've been waiting for a Unifi Protect official api but I'm about out of patience so I'm probably going to go with the event parsing script. I've been contemplating to replace all my cameras with Unifi or not... still thinking about that one.

Another vote for Lutron Caseta Pro + Pico - which do not require a neutral line depending on construction time of your home. When used to replace a regular switch any visitor can turn on/off a light. The Picos can be used to run scenes/control other ZigBee/Zwave devices/bulbs with preset colors/brightness levels. And as others have stated, you can mount them on the wall even without a gang box. Another trick I used was to put them inline with other physical switches for a room and replaced the gang box switch cover with a larger one (i.e. 3 gang --> 4 gang) for a clean look. If you want to go the extra mile, be sure to get screwless decora wall plates (Lutron Claro look great), but there are other screwless options out there as well. I only have 2 GE Zwave switches in my home as I had special requirements for them (one needed a very high load, the other needed to be brown).

Edit : Here’s that high load fixture in case you were interested. :blush:

My vote is for Smart Switches, Dimmers, and Fan Controllers. My personal preference, like many above, is Lutron Caseta using the Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge PRO2 (required for integration with Hubitat.) In addition to switches, dimmers, and fan controllers...you also get Lutron Pico Remotes. These little gems are incredibly useful for 3-way/4-way lighting configurations, adding switches to walls without any wiring, and for controlling smart bulbs (e.g. on your night-stand, or table lamps.) The other nice thing about Lutron lighting controls, is that they have integrations with Hubitat, SmartThings (no Picos), Logitech Harmony Hub, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, etc... Thus, your investment in Lutron lighting is fairly future-proof, regardless of the Home Automation Hub you use. There are also integrations for DIY home automation solutions, like Home Assistant.

As for sensors, I really prefer Zigbee devices over Z-Wave. Zigbee just seems to work better, faster, more reliably than Z-Wave for my requirements. I am sure others may prefer Z-Wave Plus, and Z-Wave Plus may very well be the correct solution for their specific scenario (house construction materials, 2.4GHz noise issues, etc...) I have 3 Zigbee networks running, as well as multiple WiFi access points, and I do not have any issues with Zigbee reliability. I do have about 6 Zigbee smart outlets plugged in which act as repeaters to strengthen the mesh network.

Have fun!

1 Like

I looked at Kerberos but I wasn't too impressed. Also seemed a little overkill for what i need.

I'll second that. I've tried both and Z-wave motion sensors just can't hold a candle to the speed of the Zigbee ones I've tried.

I use this basic rule. Bulbs go in lamps on non switchable outlets. Otherwise I use switches.

Nothing is more annoying than someone switching off a bulb and it not being able to respond to commands.

How often you have guests is a consideration too. Google Home or Alexa can help with guests if you don't have hard buttons.

3 Likes

Very good rule.

1 Like

I follow the same. There are a couple of rooms where I decided to break this rule because I wanted a color changing bulb so I used a Lutron Aurora on the switch.

2 Likes

A VERY acceptable deviation :smile:

1 Like

I was going to make a similar point. Cant control a smart bulb if the dumb switch is off.
I hadn't thought about it prior but i like the convention of smart bulbs for lamps vs switches for normal wall / ceiling lighting. I still think ,y kids would just turn off the lamps normally ...basically back to the main point!

I have a 4 and 8 year old and they use Alexa to turn the lights on. We live in a town house and we spend most of our time on the middle floor which is where most of the smart home stuff is and the Alexa. I also only have one dumb switch with a smart bulb and I've trained them to not turn off the switch (it's also a barely used switch).

1 Like

I went the whole smart bulb route. In order to keep myself and guests from messing with the (dumb) switches, I covered them with these:

They are open on 1 side so you can (but not easily) manipulate the switch without removing the cover. All the lights in the whole house, except my "office" where I prefer to work without them on, are automated so switches are redundant for me. I often use an Echo when wanting or needing manual override of the lights.

Having a smart home and still using switches just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Just to confuse matters more I went with both switches and bulbs on the same circuit. I use smart bulbs all over and had originally hard wired many of the circuits. In my common areas I have been converting over to Inovelli Red Series switches and wiring the load back into the switches. I then disable local control of the load.

This setup lets me still turn off power to the smart lights without opening up the switch plate or using the circuit breaker. The switches now become control buttons for Hubitat. For example, a single press of the exterior switch turns on the lights to full white. A double press turns the lights to a preset mood lighting scene. Both of those settings also overrides the security motion sensors. Turning the switch off returns the exterior lights their normal motion activated status.

This allows visitors to interact with the lights without knowing about the automation. The lights turn on and off as expected. They don't need to know about the extra scene settings - they just want the lights to work. It also prevents them from turning off power to the bulbs.

Next the three GE switches on the right will be replaced with Inovelli switches. The GEs will get used in other locations.

I also use the indicator LEDs on the switches to show states. This picture was right after I installed the switches so the two blue LEDs are normally off (no automation programming for them yet). The yellow LED is showing me that the exterior lights are in the white override mode (single on press). It flashes red when in normal mode and the exterior motion sensors are tripped.

I also just installed a Hubitat and five Inovell Black Series switches at my Mother's house. They had individual timer switches that would show quite a bit of time drift and required frequent reprogramming. Hubitat and NTP to the rescue. :wink: We also added five GE plugin dimmers to control their lights that would come on in the evening. Setup a few rules and they have been having fun telling Alexa to turn on and off different things. They adopted the system much easier than I expected. :joy:

5 Likes

Zoneminder is very actively being developed. you are probably on an older code base that has been shelved.

I went back and revised my comment. That was based on something I read and when I checked I realized the statement was not correct.

I'm telling you guys, I've done a lot of camera solutions over the past 12 years or so. The Ubiquity Unifi cams and NVR on the Cloud Key 2 Pro is the best one I've had. VERY happy with it. And they just registered a doorbell cam with the FCC, so presumably it works with the system and doesn't require a cloud account like other companies do.

2 Likes

Off Topic ?

@signal15 does your experience include the Axis line of video surveillance solutions and their on-board scene multi-zones motion sensing algorithms? If Unifi has matched that and the Axis camera/lens package at more reasonable pricing.... then you've got my attention.

1 Like