Want to switch to HE from ST

Hi,
I want to buy HE and switch over to it from ST.

Here are my questions.

1. The following devices that I have, are not supported by HE. What do I do about them?

Aeotec RGBW LED Strip ZW121 : Managed by custom DTH
Schlage Connect BE469NX : Managed by custom DTH
Schlage FE599-505 : Managed by custom DTH
Everspring ON/OFF Plug-in Module AN163-1 : ST supports it
Evovlve Duplex Receptacle LOM-15 : ST supports it as a generic device
Leviton Lamp Dimming Module VRPD3-1LW : ST supports it as a generic device
Leviton Appliance Module LEV-VRP15 : ST supports it as a generic device
Honeywell Toggle Switch 39354 : ST supports it

Would these devices be recognized by HE? If yes, then how would these be controlled if there is no support?

1. When HE says device is supported, does that mean that there is a GUI to set the device parameters? For example Aeotec devices are really complex and have lot of settings. I want to be able to manage them through GUI.

Here are some assumptions based on the research I did here:
a) There is an integration with Home Assistant which works well.
b) WebCore has been ported to HE. There is some debate over whether RM is better than WebCore,

I use Home Assistant for all automations. I have three pistons in WebCore which I would like to continue to use.

Please let me know what path should I take to migrate to HE.

Thanks,
Arun

It depends on the device. If it's needed to work it's in there, if it's not need it usually not. But you can change the device to the basic z-wave tool and manual adjust any parameters.

If the are ZigBee or Z-wave, then most likely yes.

If you have the DH for the device you can often port them. Some of them sound like they would work with the default drivers here anyway.

Wouldn't know, not interested in using that. I believe others have though.

Yeah it works, I keep meaning to give it try it again properly, but RM does everything I need so far so haven't needed to go back.

Buy a HE set it up and moved devices over in a logical fashion :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I went through your journey. A good intermediate step is to install HubConnect on your HE and your ST. HubConnect gives your HE visibility to and control over all of your ST-connected devices. Get that up and running and then migrate at your leisure.

1 Like

Thank you for your interest. Unlike other smart home platforms, Hubitat doesn't restrict what devices can be connected to the hub. As long as your devices follow the Zigbee or Z-Wave protocol, they can connect.

Hubitat Elevation virtually supports any Zigbee and Z-Wave device. The List of Compatible devices is comprised of devices that have been tested by our engineers and they worked as expected in their testing environment, usually running the latest firmware available for the specific device.

If your device is Z-Wave or Zigbee, chances are that it will pair and work with a generic driver, but occasionally, the driver requires some changes to enable full functionality.

4 Likes

I think that Honeywell toggle is the same as the GE Enbrighten switch, minus the GE's QuickFit and Simplewire features.

I have both of the Schlage locks you mention and they both work fine. Not sure about the rest but I feel pretty confident they will.

There is also the possibility of leaving something on ST and then controlling it with HE, using hubconnect. I still have my Arlo cameras and my Leviosa shades on my ST hub. Granted with ST recent and upcoming changes that might not be and option in the future.

I brought over about 50 pistons from ST in webcore but I am now down to about 10. I moved the simplifier stuff to RM. I use both and in my opinion they both have their uses.

1 Like

For Home Assistant integration there are some community apps that use MQTT and homey. I have not personally used any of these yet so ymmv.

WebCoRE works well but may be a tad slower/use more resources in certain situations than RM especially if you also use the available "RM-lite" apps. I used to use WC with SmartThings and early on with HE but ended up switching to Node-RED for all my rules and most integrations. As an aside Node-RED has decent Home Assistant integration as well. I do think WC has an awesome development ui though.

I agree with @brad5 HubConnect is definitely something you should check out.

edit: to clarify a little - while WC may have greater overhead in some circumstances it's not something you would notice during normal operations.

I also use a combination of native apps, RM, and WebCore. The components to get Node Red up and running are still in the box and await a snowstorm for implementation. The native Rule Machine app is powerful, but I find it... challenging. The only time I've noticed an issue with performance is when I tried to run the experimental webcore weather integration and was passing bad parameters to the weather web service. Once I identified and fixed that it's been smooth sailing.

1 Like

On my new C-7 I am running the Maker API app and Hubitat Safety Monitor and that's it nothing else. In fact I am not even using HSM at the present time - just installed it to test a Ring V1 keypad. Have about 30ish ZW+ devices paired so far as I slowly migrate over from my C-4 hubs.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for responding and inspiring this level of confidence in a new user. With a community as active and helpful as this, I already feel lot more confident.

I will continue to do deeper research into the features and capabilities of HE.

Thanks,
Arun

1 Like

As others mentioned, with HubConnect, you really can't go wrong with HE as you can leave the trickier devices on ST as long as you need to while you figure out the best steps forward if they don't work right out of the box.

2 Likes

It’s actually quite common to have several hubs in your network. I offload my zigbee bulb traffic onto a Hue bridge and my switches to a Lutron hub. Both have native integration with HE and it’s all done locally.