Wall Scene Keypads

I am looking for some rock solid (probably engravable) scene controllers to be able to program rules around the pressing of keypad buttons. I would like to be able to setup lighting and music scenes using a keypad.

In my opinion, the SeeTouch RadioRA keypads are the finest looking/performing around. Can I purchase and set up a repeater and SeeTouch without being an official/licenses lutron resellar? What's the bare minimum I need to get a SeeTouch integrated with my Hubitat? (Repeater and Seetouch?).

I am surprised that nobody makes a ZigBee or zwave controller with the same quality as SeeTouch. I have seen some Control4 installations use a similar keypad, but I think it's proprietary to Control4.

Any help is appreciated. Should I just settle on some PICO's?

My boss came up with something cool on his desk the other day. I was thinking it would be awesome at home for automation. Your question brings it to mind for me because I LOVE that thing. Wouldn't it be cool if ... So here's the link. I'm sure where there's a will there's a way. There's a smaller version of this too that's a bit cheaper. Kind've an "outside the box" response for you.

I did something similar using the Eaton Cooper Aspire keypads. I ended up writing my own driver for them that could make them behave either as switches, as buttons, or as a fan controller.

And if you make them behave as buttons, it's trivial to use Rule Machine to trigger any kind of automation from them.

You could use this already :wink:
Sadly you need an always on PC, but you could program it to use HE Maker API :stuck_out_tongue:
I've also thought about using it lol.

There's a great write up that @bravenel gave on the differences between Pico's and keypads a while back. He knows more about Lutron than anybody else here, so if this doesn't answer your question, I'm sure he will.

Yes, RadioRA 2 level 1 (Essentials) training is free. It takes a few hours and is a mix of technical and marketing content.

The minimal install would be a main repeater and keypads. You can find reasonable prices from a good distributor (I use Hanks Electric, get a quote from paul@hankselectric.net) or used on Ebay.

One of the best reasons to use a keypad over a Pico is due to physical device communications paths/limitations.When one uses a Hubitat programmed Pico or keypad with Lutron dimmers the path becomes Keypad/Pico→ Main Repeater → Hubitat→ Main Repeater→ Lutron dimmer/switch. That path can cause an IO bottleneck with Picos (but not keypads). If you are using Lutron dimmers the best way to address this issue is to use phantom buttons on the main repeater. So Hubitat sends a single command to the main repeater. The main repeater then does all the communications with the individual Lutron dimmers/switches. This is not an issue if you are using Picos to control non-Lutron devices.

1 Like

In order to support the keypads as well as pico devices, Should I be looking for a

1. Lutron RA2 Select
  2. Lutron Radio RA 2 Main REPEATER
  3. Lutron Caseta L-BDGPRO2-WH

I assume 1 or 2 to support those non pico keypads.

Thanks...

#2. Only full RadioRA 2 with the main repeater supports keypads. Neither RA2 Select nor Caséta support keypads.

2 Likes

Is there a way to speed up Caseta pico remotes ?

When using Hubitat there’s a delay controlling Lutron devices.

Not exactly what the OP is looking for, but these Aqara OPPLE Zigbee 3.0 scene controllers are now available and on sale for a few more days. Just ordered the 6 button version last night.

The issue is caused by a communication bottleneck (Picos are transmit only devices that don't know when the bridge receives the message). The Picos triggering Caséta devices via Hubitat flow is Pico→ Bridge→ Hubitat→ Bridge→ Caséta device.

The best way to minimize delays is to program the Caséta devices as a scene on the Lutron bridge. Then have the Pico call the scene via Hubitat button controller. Scenes are virtual buttons on the Bridge and are part of the integration report. You can add non-Caséta devices to the Picos in whatever Hubitat button controller app you are using.

1 Like

How would this speed up anything really? It would essentially be the same thing if you just let the pico and the bridge do the talking.

• pico to Lutron
  • Lutron runs scene
  • Hubitat sees it via Lutron

Because the Lutron bridge is receiving a single command from Hubitat. From there the Lutron bridge handles all the individual Caséta device commands. As opposed to Hubitat sending multiple device commands to the bridge and the bridge executing them. I'm not technical enough to explain the IO issue, other than seeing in my own system that making the change sped up controlling multiple Lutron dimmers via a Pico button push.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.