Walk-in Closet with 2 Entry Points

How do you get manual dimmer control at the dumb switch? I was looking at the Enbrighten ones specifically because their add-on switches still lets me have dimming controls at all ends.

I renovate houses on the side. Changed a lot of interior spaces. If it were me I would eliminate this door to maximize the closet wall space. If not eliminating it I would change swing from left to right (if this is depicted correctly in the diagram).

You could very easy put a zigbee mmwave motion sensor on the ceiling in that room and trigger it from both door thresholds.

If its not too late I'd consider a pocket door from the bath. In practice people leave the door open to the closet from the master most of the time esp when its off a bathroom. Eliminating the swing and hiding the door makes a small space more usable.

Dimmer vs Switch. Your original question said "switch" so I answered in kind BUT, sure, all of the ZWave / Zigbee dimmers support 3 way too. The "aux switch" (the Enbrighten one) is a momentary paddle in either direction, so a press and hold (either up or down) does the remote dimming.

I know that Inovelli's dimmer supports an Embrighten like Aux Switch. I have a Zooz but not in a 3 way spot, so I haven't tried that variation... yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a good way to get rid of that door. That leads to the living room. If I forgot my coat on the way out the door, I’d have to go all the way through the bedroom, through the bathroom, then to the closet lol.

Here’s the overall layout.

It looks like only on/off control at the dumb switches.
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/827-recommended-accessories-for-your-zen77-dimmer-switch/

Thank you! I was interest in Zooz then I looked at their installation instructions and they were mentioning the other end had to be a regular switch:

The 3-way configuration has to have a Zooz switch and a regular on/off 3-way switch at the other end. You won't have the option to dim from the regular 3-way switch. Always use simple on/off 3-way switches when connecting them to Zooz switches. No dimmers or electronic switches with a LED indicator may be wired to Zooz switches or dimmers.

I’ll look into Inovelli and see if they’re better priced but leaning towards Enbrighten. Apparently, the integration of Kasa switches needs some workarounds for the polling. Trying to decide if $200 more is worth for easier implementation.

Years of having a better experience. Plus not having to reconnect a bunch of switches if you change routers.

1 Like

You can use a regular switch but I thought you could use a embrighten addon if you wanted. Not sure about that, I just thought I remembered reading that somewhere. Another option is too get rid of the three way. Just wire one switch as control and replace the other switch with a Zen34 remote.

I know we sort of got out of topic from sensor positions to light switches/dimmers, but I am really thankful that you’ve potentially saved me from hours of headache with the Kasa switches. Will be ordering the Enbrighten ones and returning the Kasas!

1 Like

That would work if my husband didn’t live with me lol! I think in a room configuration, it’s best practice to have a switch at every entry point in a room. I’d be fine with automating everything, but my husband is a bit stuck on turning things on/off manually.

Well, yes but I would say that it's very unusual to have a door from a master walk in closet to a family room. The reasons are many, but a guest opening a door to your dressing room from the family room while looking for the powder room might be awkward. The main reason as I mentioned is without the door you get at least 3 to 6 linear feet of clothes rack or dresser. For many people that's worth not forgetting your coat. If I forget my coat my walk to the master walk in closet is literally 260 feet and 36 stairs. That's why we have a mudroom off the side door near the garage with coat hooks.

Haha it’s a good thing we don’t have guests often at all. That room wasn’t originally a walk-in closet, it was like a mini living room type thing. It’s commercially zoned and the previous owners ran some sort of music retreat business type thing in the main living room, so the “closet” was their personal living room. It’s a 13’ x 13’ room and probably more closet than we actually need. I went from having to pack/unpack my clothes in suitcases once a year to having more space than what I know to do with.

1 Like

He's suggesting a battery remote:

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 12.02.52 PM

Little adapter goes in the wall and then magnetically the remote clicks in. Looks like a switch. But you include it to Hubitat and just make it turn on the light(s) as well. In other words, the "real" (powered) switch/dimmer turns on the light as well as the cool Zen34 button.

Others would say Pico... and they know who they are. :smiley:

It's an ideal way to make a 3-way where no Architect planed for one :slight_smile:

I have an odd room too and the light switch is in the middle of a wall, far from any doors. So I just 3m Command Strip a Pico to the wall and control dimmers that way.

2 Likes

Oh! Okay that makes more sense. There's at least one spot where I know this would be useful... We have 6 LED can lights in our kitchen where one set of 3 is controlled by one light switch and another set is controlled by another :skull: Why? So, effectively, this creates a "virtual 3-way"? I have to think more about this. I do like the Zooz switches honestly. Maybe enough not to have dimming control at 2 different locations... Although this article actually implies you can when you combine it with a little programming:
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/1259-how-to-use-multiple-zooz-switches-in-3-way-and-4-way-set-ups/

I have ceiling fans I added to rooms and chose not to wire in wall switches. Effectively they are always powered up there. The fan controllers installed into the Canopy are Zigbee and in each room there's a wall mounted Pico adjacent to the room lighting wall switch. The physical wall has one standard single gang hole but the cover plate is dual and no one can tell it's not a real two gang box in the wall with two "real" switches/dimmers. The Pico controls the Fan or anything else going on in that room.

1 Like

I am going to have to completely redo my diagram. How long do the batteries last for the Picos?

The Zen34s are very nice. They are just as fast as a mains wired switch at talking to the hub, and take 2 cheap 2032 batteries that last about 2 years. Very easy to program a rule using the Motion Lighting app (yes, I still prefer ML to RL for those who are judging me). Plus they look just like a regular Leviton paddle switch.

2 Likes

They come with a 10year battery. But Pico's have a high entry cost. The first one you buy needs to have the Lutron SmartBridge PRO2. ($150 new, $120 used on ebay ) After that, they are about $15 each. If you look, you'll see the non-PRO offered mixed in at a lower price, Don't get anything but the PRO2

1 Like

You need a specific bridge to use picos. They don’t connect to the hub directly.

1 Like

Do you recommended Z-Wave Motion Sensors? I have some Zigbee Motion sensors that I can still return if it's better to get Z-wave ones since I will have all these Z-wave switches acting as a repeater.