VPN for Remote Hubitat Management

I re-installed to a 3rd RPI 2 from a friend, with his SD card and power supply; same result. Wireguard VPN works, but ~350kb/s is the max throughput (TOP starts showing plenty of overloading the entire time). So, if Windows decides to try and use the VPN for absolutely anything, it poops the bed.

Tried with a 3 as well (and that RPI has a bunch of other stuff installed on it), and it worked a lot better. Not sure what feature the VPN is using that my RPI 2's can't handle, but it must be something.

Anyhow, I decided to turn a Packard Bell PC (Intel NUC) I was halfway through a different project with (BlueIris, not enough power for that) into a VPN, and it's absolutely perfect now. Normal Windows for HA stuff, a VM running Linux for the VPN. Next time I'm in town, I'll probably wipe out the entire Windows component and just run everything Linux bare metal, but I've said stuff like that before.

Big difference in CPU there!

2 Likes

The issue with the RPi 3 is it is limited to the USB 2.0 bus speed.. this article talks about using an adapter for better throughput..

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/getting-gigabit-networking

Note about model 3 B+: The Raspberry Pi 3 model B+ includes a Gigabit wired LAN adapter onboard—though it's still hampered by the USB 2.0 bus speed (so in real world use you get ~224 Mbps instead of ~950 Mbps). So if you have a 3 B+, there's no need to buy an external USB Gigabit adapter if you want to max out the wired networking speed!

2 Likes

Ha! I said the same as well. Instead of moving all my half-■■■ stuffs over to my unraid box. I have a bunch of pi's doing random stuffs like vpn, pihole, node red etc...

1 Like

That's the same rabbit hole I'm about to pursue.

1 Like

Pi's multiply like schmoos if you aren't careful. :wink: Worse than hamsters...

4 Likes

Well, I was "bored" today and decided enough was enough; moved WWW/FTP/piHole/VPN/Backup server to this Packard box. Not sure why I didn't do this before, took like 1hr.

Turned 8w of power draw into 2.3w (technically 88w into 2.3w, but 80w of that is cheating), eliminated one useless monitor, one useless Windows installation, and everything works flawlessly now.

Final answer from me, the rPI 2b (at least, the ones I have) are barely able to handle a WireGuard VPN.

Now, if only this AIO PC was a touchscreen .........

2 Likes

Productive day, glad it worked out smoothly.

Sounds like you have time to swing by fix some of my tech issues...what time tomorrow should I expect you? :wink:

3 Likes

No joke, I love this stuff. If you lived close by, I'd honestly be in.

2 Likes

Hello, I am new to HE and I was looking into how to access HE outside local n/w.
I have VPN software on my PC will that work?
I also have Synology NAS but I am not sure how to set up VPN and the next steps to access HE via NAS-very creative if it's possible.
Thanks
Shan

1 Like

You’ll need a vpn server running on an always-on computer. Your PC might be able to handle that, but your synology NAS almost certainly can.

Not sure how to implement the Synology NAS VPN solution as I don't have one, however there are many available methods to set up a VPN server. Raspberry Pi solutions are relatively inexpensive (using a rPi 3 B+), not too hard to implement, and are detailed earlier in this thread. I have two of those set up at different locations which are working great. Hubitat has also since implemented subscription based remote administration which effectively allows the same thing without having to set up your own VPN.

The only issue I have with RPi 3 is you don't get full throughput on the lan port thanks to the USB 2.0 bus.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/getting-gigabit-networking

Recommend an RPi4 which does not have this limitation.

4 Likes

I don’t think the B+ has that limitation, but not sure. I have 2 RPi 3 B+ at remote locations, and a RPi 4 I’m running at home, All are running WireGuard VPN with no problems.

I also have a FireWalla VPN running on a third remote location which has an OpenVPN server. That also works fine, but is a more expensive solution.

It is improved but still well under the maximum capable for Gigabit Ethernet (RPI 4 does 900+ Mbps):

Wired Ethernet performance is also boosted, with the addition of Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0, with a maximum throughput of about 300Mbps, again substantially more than the Pi 3 Model B.

Note: it really depends on how you are using it.. probably won't saturate anything unless you have a bunch of simultaneous connections all streaming video or something bandwidth crazy. I have a client running an RPi3 B+ with OpenVPN and they do not report any issues either but usually it's a single connection.

By far, the best solution for you will be using your Synology NAS, assuming it supports a VPN (it almost definitely does) :

1. The software is one of the best parts of the Synology NASes; management of your VPN will be much simpler than you ever could imagine it being with a Raspberry PI.
  2. You already own it, anything else you want will cost you more money. A Raspberry PI will end up costing you $75 by the time you're done.
  3. Your Synology is already wasting a certain amount of power. It's "free" to add it.
  4. The likelihood that you make a configuration error and cause a security leak to your home network with Synology is magnitudes less.

Just spend the 10 minutes to figure out how to get it working on your NAS; it's super easy, dead reliable, and you have a lot of CPU power basically being wasted away inside your NAS normally.

I use an RPI now for my VPN, but it's trash because my RPI is quite old. Still, it does work for just Hubitat work (aka: browsing a website basically). However, for what I'm wasting my time to setup, I might as well get something that is a lot better.

2 Likes