VIrtual Shade rate

I thought I saw somewhere to change the length of time a blind/shade takes to go from open to closed. But perhaps this was in hubduino (which I am using to control some of my blinds).

I am using a virtual shade to trigger certain rules to open all my roller blinds (only possible through ifttt) as well as my venetian blinds (servo motors with hubduino) at the same time/switch.

It seems the virtual shade has a rate built into it. So if I change the shade from 0% to 100% it takes something like 10 seconds to get to 100%, so this is adding 10 second delays until the blinds react (I only want to control the rate in my blind app and hubduino).

I can't see anywhere that defines the rate the virtual shade device uses. Am i just overlooking it?

Are you using rule machine? If so, I'm willing to bet you adjust your virtual shade first then your blinds. Try reversing them. Since there is a timeout for the time it takes to close the virtual shade, it won't do the second command until the first one completes. That's most likely why they are not happening at the same time.

I'm using the shade tile similar to the dimmer tile. Rule machines turns a virtual switch on when the shade value is lower than 5%, then another switch between 5% and 95%, then another at 95% and higher. So its more a dimmer switch really, but I liked the icons and that you can click the shade switch on and off (rather than just a slide).

So the rate of the tile is what I want to be made faster otherwise it takes a while for my virtual switches to be activated when sliding from say 0% to 100%. My blind speeds are controlled from after the switches I made.

Does that make sense or should I word it clearer?

You can't modify the firmware of the native drivers. So, you'd have to write your own virtual shade driver to get it to act differently.

1 Like

Did you find a fix? I'm in the same boat, I have a slew of ESP8266 controlled stepper motor blinds with custom firmware that respond to HTTP Get commands. Using the rule machine I can now control them through Hubitat using Google/Alexa voice commands. If I use the virtual shade driver it responds to natural voice commands "Open/Close/On/Off/set to 88%/etc" but the delay is still there.
Using a virtual dimmer driver drives my family nuts as they keep saying "open (room) blinds" instead of "turn on (room) blinds" and it doesn't work. Also, the level of the virtual dimmer does not change to "0" when off or "100" when on, so I have to add additional rules to make them work

The rate no. I've left it as it works well anyway.

Regards having to say turn on, I setup routines in Google assistant so a large variety of different ways to say the blinds should go up is processed as "turn on blinds up". Search routines for Google assistant and you'll be sure to find out how to do it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.