Virtual Omni Sensor variable doesn't seem to work as trigger (possible bug?)

Here it is.

Hi @bravenel, any updates on this?

Hi, yes. I just tracked down the bug. Fix will be in next release. Sorry it took so long.

2 Likes

No problem - thanks for the fix!

Is the Virtual Omni Sensor variable the only way to pass text back and forth. I want to do something similar by passing text from homeseer to habitat. Isn't there a simple one field device that could do this - or could I create a custom device?

If you want a device and don't want the extra capabilities of the Virtual Omni Sensor device, you could create a global string variable in Rule Machine, then create a connector (same place) for it. This will show up as a device, and--with a string variable--the only commands and attributes you'd see would be ones to get or set the actual string. Without Rule Machine (which you really don't need to use for any purpose except this if you don't want to), you could certainly also create a custom driver. but I'm not aware of any other built-in ones that do only exactly this.

That being said, I'm not sure what your use case is; if you don't need a device at all, you could do this over HTTP and pass whatever you want (e.g., as GET parameters or a POST body). This, of course, depends on what the API or whatever integration you're using on the other side lets you do and what your use for the text is in Hubitat. It would also likely require a custom app, so if you want something built-in, the above is probably what you want.

1 Like

nh.shotftam created this one a while back if you don't want to re-invent the wheel:

Summary
/*
 * Virtual attribute
 *  Licensed Virtual the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 *  in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 *  Change History:
 *    Date        Who            What
 *    ----        ---            ----
 *    2020-09-17  nh.schottfam	 Original
 */

metadata {
    definition (name: "Virtual Attribute set", namespace: "nh.schottfam", author: "imnot_bob") {
        capability "Actuator"

attribute "var1", "string"
	attribute "var2", "string"

command "setVar", ["string", "string"]
        command "clrVar", ["string"]
    }   
}

preferences {
	input("debugEnable", "bool", title: "Enable debug logging?")
}

def setVar(var, val) {
	if(var in ['var1', 'var2']){
    		sendEvent(name: var, value: val)
		if(debugEnable) log.debug "set variable $var"
	} else log.warn "improper arg $var $val,  variable should be var1 or var2"
}

def clrVar(var) {
	setVar(var,' ')
}

def installed() {
	log.trace "installed()"
	for (v in ['var1', 'var2']){
		setVar(v,'')
	}
}

def updated(){
	log.trace "updated()"
	if(debugEnable) runIn(1800,logsOff)
}

void logsOff() {
	log.debug "debug logging disabled..."
	device.updateSetting("debugEnable",[value:"false",type:"bool"])
}

Hubitat made the code available for the Omni sensor and you can delete all of the Capabilities you don't need.

Hah! So that's what the connectors do :+1: :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.