Virtual mobile device app?

Is there a way to create a virtual mobile device as a "place holder" for notifications, and create a rule to connect that "virtual mobile device" to an actual mobile device, to send those notifications to?

Reason: I have multiple rules that I have set up to receive notifications for via RM/basic rules. If I change my phone (upgraded from a Xperia 1 iii to a pro-i) it gets tedious going through each rule and changing the notifications from one device to another.

The thought is to create a virtual "place holder" that all I have to do is change the device in one rule and it will work for all notifications in different rules

Not exactly, at least not with that driver. However, I did write an app/driver combo with a similar goal in mind. If you want to use it,

1. Install the app code from: Hubitat/NotificationProxyApp.groovy at master · RMoRobert/Hubitat · GitHub
  2. Install the driver code from: Hubitat/NotificationProxy.groovy at master · RMoRobert/Hubitat · GitHub

To use, create a virtual device using that driver. That will be the "virtual" device you actually use for notifications in apps. Then, install an instance of the app and follow the UI inputs to tie this virtual device into one or more real devices. If/when you want to change what the virtual device goes to, just change it in the app. You can also use it to route notifications to multiple real devices via just a single hub device--what I really wrote it for, though it's good for either use.

Alternatively, you should just be able to tell the mobile app that you're using/replacing the same device when you sign into the mobile app for the first time on your new phone. That should take over notification, presence, and other app features--so you might not even need to do any of this in the first place.

2 Likes

I just happen to need something like this. One question: When configuring the App the Notifcation Settings include the proxy device. If I select that is it going to loop forever?

Probably, if I understand you correctly, but why would you make those selections? You should select the virtual device for the first input and the "real" devices(s) for the second.

It was just a subtle hint that it looks like a bug to me. I wouldn't select it, but others might.

I suppose I could put a warning in the UI, but when you make an app input that allows users to select devices by capability, there isn't really any way to filter the list on the app code side.

I'd call that user error before a bug regardless. :grinning: But thanks for pointing it out!

See this