Vertical Stand for HE

Has anyone created / found a vertical stand for HE hubs? I like to keep mine standing on edge on my networking / home automation shelf. Because they are so light, the weight of the ethernet and power cables tend to tip them over. I was thinking something like large binder clips on the edge, but didn't want to introduce metal which could interfere with antennas. All suggestions are welcome! :slight_smile:

I use command strips to hold them it in place.

2 Likes

Probably a plastic smartphone or small tablet stand/holder could work.

1 Like

Make friends with somebody that has a 3d printer.

The perfect removable stand:

Beware, industrial means industrial... I once put the glued side on my (painted) wall to put a tablet on it.
Unsatisfied, I tried to remove the velcro: the paint came of the wall... So, you just need to remove it carefully (or just place it on the right place).
That said, I recommend it !

This is my 12 inches tablet, with Velcro on the back and magnetic charger:

There are several on thingiverse.com: Hubitat site:thingiverse.com

Wouldn't the antenna's in the hub not be designed to transmit and receive through the sides? Would turning it on it's side disrupt this? I was at one point working with the Iris developers and they tested and compared their V1 and V2 hubs and there was a difference as to the radio output from the various sides of the units. I don't recall if the tops and bottoms were tested as it was assumed that they would be sitting on a shelf of some sort. I don't have the answers, just something to think about.

1 Like

Thanks. These appear to be more wall mount oriented. I could try command strips to see if they work. I picked up a big pack from Costco!

Are you looking for something like the below image that would hold the Hubitat vertically? Not with the cables at the bottom, but able to hold it with cables from the side or top?
Vertical%20Stand

FWIW, one of my HEs has been on its side for ~1 year. No radio issues. The other HE has been upside down but flat for ~6 months. No radio issues either.

The first one spent a week inside my media cabinet, but was overheating inside. So now it is command-stripped to the back of the media cabinet with the base facing outward (so heat escapes more easily).

1 Like

I designed a Hubitat mounting set (C5 only at this point, not sure if there are dimension differences with the C4 and I do not have one) in OpenSCAD. It has a variety of options including wall mount and I added a vertical stand like the picture.

I will print a couple tonight to make sure it all works. If it does, I will post them to thingiverse (I have been really slacking in uploading designs there for years) and post here about it.

2 Likes

Yup … I'm looking for something exactly like that with the cables going out the back. This is for the newer HE unit. Thanks!!

Awesome! I can have my ID guys at work 3D print them for me. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

I was going to suggest small helium balloons attached to the Ethernet cables to take the weight. It might take a bit of adjustment to get the lift just right but it should work. :wink:

4 Likes

not sure how well that worked in UP!

They may have had a little more lift than necessary for an Ethernet cable. Careful adjustment would be necessary and totally dependent on whether you used the included cable or a third party one. There should be something added to HE documentation to cover things like this.
Need to watch that again soon. We named on of our sheds Kevin in honor.

Here is a sample of what the vertical one I am currently printing looks like. Whether it has "hollow" retaining areas or screw holes are configurable...
Hubitat%20Vertical

...and here is a sample of the wall mount version I am working on.
Hubitat%20Wall

4 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

I'm going to have to dust of my printer now!

1 Like

you need to take account of the balloon porosity. When time increase, the helium will go through the skin of the balloon, thus reducing the lift.
Maybe add a helium cylinder with a wireless relay (and a Rule to manage it) that will re-inflate the balloon from time to time ?

4 Likes