Variable Boolean tile stuck on "Sending..." in Dashboard

During testing, I ran into another bug-a-boo. Upon noticing one of the Variable Boolean-type tiles saying "Unknown" (instead of "True" or "False"), i clicked it. Up came an empty checkbox and a SAVE button. I clicked the checkbox (so it became checked) and clicked SAVE.

But then the tile reads "Sending..." (here's the screenshot) and seems stuck at that. Any clues here as to what's going on?

Chrome (latest) in Win10 (latest). Expecting "True"/"False" drop-down picker.

Do you see anything in the logs? I have setup a new boolean variable and added it to a dashboard. Changes seems to apply successfully...

Just a guess.....

I don't think variable updates do get Logged... but...

Either way, glad you had me look, because it reminded me that the default (Tile = "Variable String") arrangement in Dashboard does update the underlying variable value after choosing TRUE or FALSE (and clicking SAVE). I just amended the bug report, above, to reflect that.

Nice catch.

Yep... That's what I was thinking as well....? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I've seen a boolean variable updated on a tile that presents it as a boolean.

Also, I am not prompted for a type for the tile... could that be an earlier version thing?

Same here... when adding a new Tile, the selection is made for me, and that assignment is Type = "Variable String" (which I consider unexpected, though of the options cited, it clearly 'works better' in the sense it at least updates the var).

For testing purposes, as mentioned above, I changed the Tile type to "Variable Boolean" (which I would have expected the auto-picker to prefer, no?) and that's when the wheels flew off the wagon.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm interested in modifying such Tiles -- using CSS -- based on the State, i.e. TRUE or FALSE, of the Boolean Tile. Turns out, since neither Tile type -- "String" or "Boolean" -- has a CSS indicator ("style") for one versus the other, there's no obvious way to do things like change color or icon, etc.

Where do you see this? Can you offer a screenshot?

Sure thing... maybe I should have included that with my initial report... In Chrome, you can right-click a Tile and select INSPECT, which opens the F12 menu (as shown in this screenshot), where you can clearly see the Tile's class(es) (among them, "variable-string").

Funny, though perhaps misleading by its absence, you cannot readily find that out by clicking the three-dot menu of the Tile itself. If you do, you'll notice that none of the available Templates are highlighted! Whereas, for things like a "Switch" or "Color Bulb", that selection would be highlighted under "Templates" in each case. At least then you'd know your basic starting point.

Mine also shows in the dev panel as a string, but still shows the boolean options in the drop-down and continues to work as expected...

Not what you want to hear... I know... The "it works for me" response doesn't help anyone...

Hmmm... Not sure I follow, it works for me... granted behind the scenes it may not be exactly what we may expect, in the end the options for me were still True or False and when I selected one of these it updated the variable value back in the Hub Variables screen. If there's something I am missing (quite likely) then happy to see it looked into...

Did you ever change the Template type to Variable Boolean as instructed above? How did it behave then? Does it not get stuck on "Sending..." when you try to control that type of Tile? Shouldn't Dashboard plainly indicate that it initially chose Variable String for you?

I always changed the Tile Type to Variable.... Have you done that?

You shouldn't need to select a template for variable tiles. Sounds like you're using a variable connector, which is a device (and could work if you use a template that sends the right commands but is no longer necessary). Make sure your tile type is Variable, not Device (and that you've authorized the variable in the Dashboard app for use) -- as in the post above mine.

I am able to replicate @sburke781's findings that all works as expected for me.

1 Like

That is under the "Device" Tile Type. if you are using a Hub Variable like I was showing, you need to change that setting, I believe...

Hmmm. ... I expect the idea is not to use the Device templates, given it is a variable.... Under the variable tile type you just choose the variable and the rest (I assume) is inferred from the variable definition. I am expecting your setup of the tile is not the intended use case, albeit available for you to select.

"Tile Type" is what we're talking about, not "Pick a Device," and it does have an effect. If you choose "Variable," you do not need to (and should not even see the option to) pick a template. The tile will be correct based on the variable type. If you are seeing other behavior, that is incorrect, but I don't see anything from the screenshots that suggests it is.

Yes, this is the recommended method to use variables on Dashboard today. It was once not possible, and connectors were part of the solution to that by "elevating" them to devices, which Dashboard and other apps can see. This is no longer necessary.

From your screenshots, it appears you made a variable connector and are trying to select that as a device tile. That can work (again, it was once the only way), but it seems like that setup is not quite right, either. You'd need a "Variable" type connector for that--any other type of connector (boolean/switch, etc.) will not work. The device needs the setVariable() command that Dashboard will run. You can use a boolean connector on Dashboard too, but it is a switch device, and the correct template in that case is Switch or anything that lets you do on/off.

3 Likes

To be fair, when I chose to edit the variable tile, this is the dialog that is displayed, with no representation of the variable selected... Not sure if anything along these lines has been corrected in Beta, even though I probably could find our myself...

That I see, too, even on production firmware. It seems to always default to a "Device" tile when you're editing, even if it was a "Variable" tile (so you'll need to make sure that Tile Type: Variable, along with your hub variable below, are re-selected before you click to change/save anything--or you can just close the editor with no effect). Definitely an oddity there, or perhaps part of Dashboard's...charm. :slight_smile:

The above does still describe what you'll need to do for when setting it up, however (and apparently any time you want to edit, though there's no reason to unless you are trying to choose a different variable, and in that case I guess you'd need to do most of that anway; move/resize actions seem OK).

1 Like