Vacation rental control questions

Signal,
This is a small condo (600 sq ft). So signal should not be a problem.

I can go with Zigbee. I would like to stay on a budget so the Caseta turns me off (unless they are worth it).

You can't easily use a thermostat on mini-splits as they are usually controlled by an IR remote. AND the units we have are inverter units so they ramp up and down the compressor with the changing temp. So not really and on and off like a thermostat. There are several IR controllers as I mentioned just wasn't sure of my best option for direct integration and least amount of trouble.

Cameras are a tricky subject with Airbnb. None are allowed in the unit (understandably). My view outside of my door is a stairway so not much to see there.

Just purchased a Netgear R7800 router and am going with DD-WRT flash, and a VPN. This would allow US TV to be viewed down there. Will this work for remote control of the Hubitat?

So if you try to control the hubitat when it's NAT'd, you're going to have a problem. The way the web interface is coded, NAT won't let you modify rules and do some other setting changes. You definitely need a VPN without destination NAT. The router you're talking about should work. If it doesn't, PiVPN works well.

As for cameras, I wouldn't put one in the unit. I wouldn't rent an Airbnb with cameras in it. But, outside you should have as many as possible. If you see 50 people going into your place, you have a problem that needs addressing ASAP.

If you can't replace the thermostats with regular ones, but they have IR, you could possible use iTach IR devices to control stuff. The problem with this is they just blast IR commands. You're not going to be able to see what a renter has set a thermostat to. I would call Ecobee and see if their thermostats are compatible. You'll lose the IR remotes, but who cares? Renters are going to lose remotes anyway, eliminating them is in your best interest.

For your mini split you can use this

That brings me to a deal of the day thing with some kind of smartwatch.

These aren't on the compatible product list.

I checked the link and it’s good (opens the amazon app) It links to a Remotec z-wave ir extenders made specifically for minisplits

I have 3 be469 locks. As long as they’re fw 7.0 or above it should be fine. They were on the list until recently due to flakiness of the earlier firmware.

They aren't any more. And if someone hasn't invested in a Hubitat already, it is misleading to indicate that their Schlage locks will work without issue with Hubitat.

While my Schlage locks work fine, there are other reports with FW versions including 8.0, 8.1 and 10.0 that are not working as intended.

That product (ZXT-120) doesn't have a Hubitat driver. I sent one I wasn't using to @mike.maxwell recently to see if it could join the list of products he is writing Hubitat drivers for. Because the ZXT-120 has been obsoleted by Remotec, I can't imagine it would be high on anyone's list of priorities.

If you have the remote controls for them, it should be possible to use cheap Broadlink devices to control them. There is a community-contributed driver written by @cybrmage to locally control Broadlink devices (and they are relative inexpensive). The trouble with IR control is that it is one-way. So your renters may manually adjust the thermostat on the Benelux units and there's nothing you can do about it.

For genuine two-way feedback control you would need to use @signal15's suggestion.

Plenty of Hubitat-supported locks. There are fewer complaints with zigbee locks than z-wave. Schlage locks are not on the compatible devices list, so avoid them.

Both these are easily done.

I use a schlage BE468 zwave on my cabin, and it's been super reliable - pairing sucked just because you had to get within inches to do it, but after that really really reliable.

I use ngrok on an old Windows tablet for tunneling in via 2 LTE modems used for failover. I have VNC installed on the tablet so I can reconfigure the devices, etc.

I use a zwave 240v relay to control the electric heaters that are set to 65 degrees so I can flip them on, and pre-heat the house - perhaps that would work with AC as well? It's a good thunk, too.

Battery motion sensors suck. Mine die every 6 months and without warning.

Zwave in general has been really reliable. When I rejigger things it takes a day or so for the network to ... heal? And then it's good. The hardest part has been reliable internet connectivity in the boonies. If you have that, you're half way there.

Ngrok: https://ngrok.com/

Super easy to get going, and free for 1 connection. Super reliable. Basically you run the exe, and it gives you a url. I choose a VNC port to forward, and boom I'm in.

TeamViewer is also good as a backup, and free for 1 occasional connection - but they nag you.

I own few Cabine and a house that i vacation rental remotly i am planing to do a set up with Hubitat and starting to test it but as of Doors we Use erentallocks it great ! you can create code that are only valid for the time of there stay and it doesnt need interenet to work!

Except for those of us that already have several and can’t get the ST community DTHs to port over to HE correctly :wink:.

1 Like

True dat.

1 Like

Thanks for sending yours to Mike, btw. I have a good feeling he’ll manage to put something together in time for me to actually need to start using my a/c units again :sunglasses:.

1 Like

Wasn't using it .... so easy decision.

1 Like

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: window a/c’s are such a PITA to automate. If the ZXT-120 driver doesn’t work out, I’ll likely move on to the Broadlink community integration.

1 Like

Yes - one of several really valuable contributions from @cybrmage.

Edit - and the Broadlink Minis are as little as $10 now.

1 Like

Just a follow up in the topic and if you are so kind to share your complete solution for your airbnb rental. I am new to the topic and we share the same problems with the AC, locks and access codes, exterior lights. The thread is very content rich but will like to know how the final implementation went on and how is it working for you. Did you accomplish your goals of control and if you have any personal recommendations.
Appreciate it!

1 Like