Using ZeroTier with Hubitat

Has anyone attempted to create a ZeroTier driver or something so it integrates with Hubitat? I know there is an integration with Home Assistant and it works great.

Thanks!

Nelson

Short answer is that I don't recall seeing a mention of this prior (but there are still quite a few threads that I haven't gotten to yet :slight_smile: ) Looks like it has a REST API, so the creation of a driver would in theory be possible. What do you see as possible use cases?

3 Likes

It is mainly to have access to my Hubitat Devices outside my network without resorting to the Hubitat remote access interface.

If you just want to see device status or turn something on/off, the built in dashboards will give you that ability without extending the environment or using the remote access offering.

3 Likes

@SurfCoders As @thebearmay pointed out you can use regular dash for status.... or you can simply set up a VPN and get full access to the main interface. No special driver needed. Zerotier looks like it has VPN built in so the Remote Access package would be unnecessary.

It’s actually called remote admin.

While you may still have some admin tasks in mind for which you’d like to use this proprietary VPN solution rather than the native option offered by Hubitat, can you elaborate on what you’d like to be able to do remotely?

As @thebearmay mentioned, no additional software is needed to remotely view and control your devices if you setup some Hubitat cloud dashboards.

3 Likes

So, I have been paying $2.99/mo. to access my Hubitat remotely. Do I understand correctly that this subscription is unnecessary for remote access? Thanks.

I you want to perform Hubitat Admin functions (like adding/removing devices, adding/modifying apps, etc...) when away from home, then you need to use either the Hubitat Remote Admin subscription OR connect to your home network over a private VPN connection.

If you simply want to use the Hubitat Mobile app to receive Push Notifications, View Hubitat Dashboards that you've created, and use the built-in Geofencing for Presence, then no subscription or VPN is required.

Remote Admin (or a VPN connection to your house) is only required to bring up the Hubitat Hub's Web Interface for managing the Hub.

2 Likes