Using Solar Panels for Heat Pump (AC) Power

@dJOS

Thanks - that makes sense.

BTW I’m considering a heat-pump water heater. But we don’t use much hot water (empty-nesters). In the summer the cold tap runs warm enough to shower.

We should invest in a good old-fashioned clothes line. Electric dryers are energy hogs.

1 Like

Nearly $1 per load for me. I line dry whenever possible.

1 Like

Traditional ones sure are, our old one pulled 2kW when running!

Thankfully I was able to talk the MoF into upgrading to a Heat Pump condensing dryer which pulls about 400watts instead. They are triple the price of a traditional electric dryer, however the pay back time is only about 3 years and they dont burn your clothes. :rofl:

5 Likes

I looked at these recently when i was in the market for new laundry set. Really liked the idea but i wasn't keen on the super-long dry times. We still have two young kids in the house and doing 3-4 loads of laundry on a Sunday afternoon is common. Either way, these heat pump units are uncommon and not widely available here in the US just yet. Maybe when this new set wears out...

2 Likes

IME, I dont think they take much longer than a normal electric dryer at all. we have 2 kids under 12 and the wife is doing washing almost all week for them. Although she tends to hang out their clothes if it's sunny or hang them on a clothes line inside if it's wet. Im lazy and use the dryer from all my clothes. :rofl:

It's the same here in Aus, last time I was in a white goods section of a big box store, they had 2 models, one from Samsung and one from LG.

1 Like

Btw, there is a cool Community Tesla integration for Hubitat - it's quite handy for automatically turning off things like Dishwashers, washing machines, dryers and AC systems when there is a power failure.

2 Likes

We’ve been using a whirlpool heat pump dryer for about 5 years now. Zero complaints with our family of four. Drying times are maybe 20-30 minutes longer than an electric dryer for a full load.

I did need to pull the case and clean the internal condenser and evaporator coils recently. You also need to vacuum the cooling intake/exhaust intake grilles (on the back of the unit) every few months. It’s something to think about if stacking..try and provide easy access to the back of the dryer.

3 Likes

I don't understand why you think that solar controllers are useless. I had a similar situation, not the same, but still. I purchased a controller 10 Best Solar Charge Controllers: In-Detail Reviews (Spring 2023) and it fits me perfectly and solved my problem. Or you can consider exploring other solar pricing options or looking into energy efficiency upgrades for your home.

Hi @user5095

I assume this was meant for me. From the link, these controllers look like they are used to control battery charging. That would be an essential component to an integrated solar/storage solution.

(I'm no expert, just a guy who clicked on a web link.)

I made a reference to demand controllers (also called load controllers), which are rather different.

Load controllers at home - Phoenix

I wanted demand/load control with more finesse. For example, I do not want to just cut power to a running heat pump when the demand is too high. My approach results in a change to thermostat setpoint, which allows the the heat pump to ramp down normally.

Thanks for the good input and suggestions for other efficiency upgrades. I'm glad that you have a system that meets your needs. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.