Using same time in different rules - offset or no?

I'm pretty sure this is answered somewhere, but my search-fu is weak today...

Consider a couple all-same-devices lighting automations, and let's say I want certain things to happen before 11:00, then other things after 11:00...

If one rule uses 11:00 as the "stop" time (either as a specific time or as the end of a between-2-times), should I use an offset like 11:01 as the "start" time (again, specific time or as the start of a betw/-2-times) in the other rule?

Or can I use 11:00 in both places without inducing some doomsday machine if I ever happen to trigger (either? both?) at 11:00:00(...).

Thanks!

Practically I would ask whether you can only go down to the minute and whether you could push your workaround down to the second, I e. 11:00:01.

Another alternative may be some kind of switch used in a Required Expression.

Or you could try combining the rules and introduce a conditional to break up the different behaviour, being explicit about how you treat the cross-over time of 11am.

The more interesting thing to understand will be how between works, is it inclusive of the two boundaries, etc

Is this basically the question you're asking? If so, a time range includes the entire minute of the start time (including second zero) and ends the moment before second 0 of the end time. So a condition involving a time range that ends at 11:00 PM will be false at exactly 11:00 PM but remain true until 10:59:59.999, or whatever resolution the platform and its scheduler provides.

Thus, I don't think what you're asking will really be a problem.

5 Likes

Yes - thank you, good sir!! :+1:

2 Likes

I've done a similar thing and solved it by using a Delay in a Rule. Do all your automations, then insert a delay command of any hr/min/sec. Then add any automations after the delay. Works like a champ.