Using Hubitat with Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro

Hi everyone.

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. :slight_smile:

I'm setting up a home network from scratch in my new home. I purchased a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro, 3 APs and a Ubiquiti PoE switch. All of Ubiquiti devices are up and running along with some Alexa devices.

I'd like to use Hubitat as my hub. Any suggestions, recommendations and/or lessons learned with using Hubitat with the Dream Machine Pro?

In case it helps, my current network setup is 4 VLANs (main, IoT, Guest, Kids).

Thanks!

I have been using HE with my Udm pro for about 2 years now with no problems. I have the hub set on the iot vlan with all the other home automation devices. I get no interference from my ap’s as the HE hub is centered in the house with the ap’s at either end. You should have no issue. If you need some help with the udm you can pm me and I will help you if I can.

1 Like

First, welcome!

I have a UDMP and numerous Ubiquiti devices (not nearly as some people though). I have multiple Hubitat hubs and they have all been happy being part of the network. That has never caused issue at all. The Ubiquiti-side of things has been a bit more problematic than anything but even that has been pretty stable for me. A couple of my hubs are actually powered using PoE adapters because of the UPSes I have for the networking gear.

If you are interested, there are also drivers available to integrate Unifi Network and Unifi Protect with your Hubitat.

3 Likes

UDM Pro user here also. Works great. I have six switches and 8 APs. To make life a little easier (and to take advantage of those nice PoE switches) I use PoE splitters to power all of my hubs. Besides cutting down on the number of power cubes and outlets, it allows me to power cycle them remotely if needed.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079D5452Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep my home automation hubs on their own VLAN and create firewall rules to allow access from my user VLAN and my IoT VLAN as needed. I use DHCP reservations for all my hubs and end user devices, since that makes it much easier to create firewall rules to allow traffic to pass to and from the HA VLAN. The only issue I've had is when one device tries to find another device using UDP across VLANs. If I had to do it over again I would probably not segregate the hubs onto their own VLAN, but put them either on the user VLAN or the IoT VLAN.

1 Like

Thanks for the great answers - this is very helpful. I'll follow up with any questions but I think I'm set for now.

Are there any integrations for the UDMP? Anything that can be shown on a hubitat dashboard to show current status? Thx

Check out this thread

1 Like

@Freedom35 Just be aware that there have been noted problems using POE splitters with the C8 and Unifi switches. C7's don't seem to have the issue with the Unifi stuff.

Really? I had not noticed any problems and missed whatever thread it might have come up in. I have my C-8 using a PoE splitter from my 48 port switch...

2 Likes

There have been several.... For some reason it's been problematic with z-wave... But only with Unifi... I use cisco catalyst poe switches and haven't had an issue.

Weird. I only have Unifi switches active (I have an older non-Unifi switch for backup) and have not seen any issue with my PoE or Z-Wave. Maybe I got lucky for once.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.