Using an IRIS security key pad to control a device

Good Morning.
I ordered an electronic gate latch that im going to install on a gate to my yard. Its a pretty simple 24v system. Apply power and the lock unlatches. remove power and the latch re engages.
Im going to use a zen 16 to provide power to the latch.
On the inside of the yard - im going to use a luton Pico to control power to the zen...thats pretty easy. On the outside id like to use a key pad. I have a couple of the old IRIS keypads. If i can use one of those 0 id have a great solution for a code to enter and a button to exit

So - anyone know if i can set up a user code on the iris key pad to send a command to a ZEN 16?

TIA.
mac

You could probably do it with this driver

2 Likes

Its been a minute since ive downloaded a customer app or driver. Is it just the driver i need to copy to the code to or an app i copy in?

Thanks
Mac

That driver will only work for Iris V1 keypads. That was the generation of Iris devices that only worked with Iris (until Hubitat created specific drivers for Iris refugees after Lowes shut it down).

If you have an Iris 3405-L, that’s a second generation Iris keypad that uses a standard zigbee profile, meaning it works with SmartThings, Hubitat, etc. Same deal for keypad model IL021, aka 3rd generation Iris keypad.

Edit: the hub documentation covers how to add custom drivers, if you need a refresher.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Documentation

thanks. i found the advanced settings. And confirmed that its actually a V2 keypad 3405L.
Will leave the driver set to IRIS v2.

Now just need to figure how to control a device from this :slight_smile:

1 Like

There were some old threads that discussed use cases like this, and IIRC there’s no way to use the Iris keypad as a standard button device. It’s been a while so it’s possible I’m remembering that incorrectly.

Was worth a shot. It’s been sitting in my fun drawer for years.
On that note. Are there any key pads that can be used to control or power a device? I don’t mind spending the money if it works.

Im getting somewhere...but not quote working properly yet.
I have the IRIS key pad working. I set a 4 digit code and from the device menu i can see the device being armed and disarmed when i enter the code and press on or enter the code and press off.

I created a rule in 5.1 to turn on a device on keypad entry.
It partially works.
When i enter the code and then press on...nothing happens.

When i press the code and then off...my relay powers on. This is what i'm trying to accomplish. I have the relay set to 1 min default off so only ever need to power it on from the keypad

Sadly - once its off - if i press the code then off again....nothing happens.

Sooo close!

any thoughts on how to enter a code and a single button where it will power the device each time? I could always cover the other buttons so people don't screw it up!
Cheers

Well....updating my progress.
I have a solution but uncertain how well anyone other than me might be able to use it.

IRIS V2 Keypad - device set up and working. Using HE supplied IRIS V2 driver
Rule Machine 5.1. Turn on Device when code is entered.

As noted above. Will only power on my device when transitioning from an Alarmed state to a DisArmed state.

Work around.
If I press the ON key on the keypad 1st. it arms the system.
Then enter the CODE followed by the Off Button...powers the device
As the device is a zen 16 - i have the power pff default set for 1 min...so this works perfect. When the gate closes the latch will re engage 1 min later upon power off

So technically as long as i put in concise set of instructions by the keypad....it might be a workable solution.

1. Press On
  2. Enter Code
  3. Press Off

Alternatively. If there is a keypad i can buy that will trigger any time the device is entered...id be willing to pick one up.

Appreciate any advice.
Of note. When i look at the logs....every time i enter the code and press OFF..the log updates with "keypad was disarmed" so if there was custom rule that could trigger of disarmed ( from an already disarmed state) that would work too..then i could cover up the On and Partial buttons to make it more idiot proof. ( meaning me :slight_smile: )

Cheers

It can be done. You can detect when it says armed or disarmed for that matter. And you can programmically reset the keypad to whatever state you want.

For example, enter code then press on. Gate unlocks.
Then in RM or whatever after a minute or so tell the keypad to go back to disarmed state and it will be ready for the next time.

Or do the opposite if you want off to unlock.

Interesting. I can try that rule. BUT whats odd is it will only power on the device on the disarm ( at least the way i have it set up ) Seems counter intuitive but true

I did try the reverse. Meaning Power off when code was entered...but that didn't trigger the relay either with a Code + On or a code + off.

Will continue to keep picking.
And to be honest...ive never been really good at cascading rules!

Cheers

I probably didn't do a very good job explaining what I meant, trying to type on my phone.

Anyway, here is what I did.

When you enter a code on the keypad and hit on, the keypad goes into what is called an armed state. Since it's already armed it won't report that again until it's been disarmed.

So enter code, press on, and RM sees the entry and you do what ever action you want. In this case turn on the gate relay. Then put in an action to tell the keypad to go to disarm state. Then the next time you hit code and on it will be detected.

You can reverse what I said if you want to use off to control the gate rather than on.

Like this, I think.
Keypad

will give it a whirl. I've been drilling holes and pulling the wires though my gate for when the latch shows up. But seeing its a hundred degrees in Houston...might need to take a break!

1 Like

Dug my keypad out, found some batteries and here is what I found.

The keypad doesn't require a code to turn on PARTIAL or ON state. But OFF does.

So manually the first time put keypad into ON state. Then you can enter a code and push off which you detect in a rule. The rule then turns on your gate, and sets the keypad back to ON state which makes it ready to do the code/off again. Here is the rule that worked for me.

Just to clarify, you're saying that you only have to do this once, and after that entering any code and hitting Off will be detected by RM and it can set the keypad back to On again. That right?

I have two of these that are sitting in my "I have no use for these at the moment" pile, and thinking that using this trick might allow me to un-retire them. :slight_smile:

Yes, you only need to do that once. It should stay in sync after that. Possible exception is when you change batteries, but just push on again and all should be good.

1 Like

Figured I’d provide an update.
Mounted the lock. Pulled wires through the metal fence. Connected up my zen and 24v dc supply.
I mounted the lock on the inside vs the outside. Made it a lot easier to wire as the lock is now on the house side vs across my cememt walk way and no easy to get a wire across.

Works great. Just have to train the fam to press on, code, off.

Appreciate the help. If anyone has a spare v2 keypad I’ll buy it. Going to do the other gate next week end. Got one more zen 16 that needs to be put to good use.

Looks great, nice work.

If I understand correctly, I think that @j715 confirmed that you only have to hit the "On" button one time, and after that you can just enter the code and push "Off" on the keypad.

So I think you have less training by one step. :slight_smile:

As long as it’s armed, the dis arm can be used as a trigger. I’ve been testing this all week end. Just push on or partial prior to entering the code.
If In an in unarmed state the on button puts into armed. If already in an armed state pressing the on again doesn’t change anything

Breed new life into old stuff!