Using ALEXA to ask BROADLINK to control soundbar via HUBITAT

In the process of moving from WINK to HUBITAT this past week or so, I have successfully set up HUBITAT (currently running version 2.2.0.128) and made the transition of our set of five ALEXA-compliant and coordinated smart light bulbs to the new hub without much trouble. However, I have had no real success in moving our current Living Room Speaker device combination to HUBITAT so that I can use ALEXA voice commands (a prior workable combination I had worked out between the BROADLINK device and ALEXA directly). The devices involved are a PHILIPPS soundbar triggered by a BROADLINK RM PRO PLUS2. The BROADLINK device is currently connected appropriately to HUBITAT (using beta versions of the device code) as is the AMAZON ECHO SKILL app; the necessary IR codes are set, tested, work correctly (in the associated app) and are stored on the device. The Living Room Speaker (the Zone Label) is listed in the AMAZON ECHO SKILL app as a Selected Device (using BROADLINK).

When “discovered”, however, although ALEXA suggests commands will work, the ECHO then states “Sorry, Living Room Speaker is not responding” and the LRS appears in the device list but with a “There was a problem” indicated. I can control the BROADLINK device directly from my iPhone (using the IHC app) and, as mentioned above, using “test” on the HUBITAT app. I currently have three LRS listings on the ALEXA devices list (“why”, I don’t understand), one of which uses HUBITAT (POWER off) ;the others two, versions of BROADLINK. I have cleared all three at various times, together and separately, and reinstalled them to no avail. I currently have IHC and e-Control apps on my iPhone and both the ALEXA and HUBITAT apps on iPhone, iPad and laptop.

Suggestions? I am fairly computer literate but completely stumped as to how best to solve this dilemma.

LEE MAKELA

Hello @leemakela

Welcome to Hubitat. I don't have the answer to your question, but I have two suggestions:

1. Please edit your post to delete your email and phone number (unless you want those to be seen by anyone that visits community.hubitat.com)

2. The Broadlink device is supported by a community driver (as opposed to one written by Hubitat staff, i.e. a built-in driver). You would be best served by posting your question in the same thread that you found the Broadlink driver. The author of that community driver is most likely to see it there.

Welcome, I use google, but i suspect alexa is expecting a response from the broadlink, which it'll never get. The rmpro2+ does not do an ack. You could try creating a virtual device in Hubitat, then have alexa control that. The virtual device would be tied to a rule that actually carries out the broadlink action. Alexa would get the ack it's looking for from Hubitat's virtual device.
Convoluted, yes, but will work. Try 1 first and see what happens

Sorry for my ignorance here.  I’m quite illiterate on much of this.

From your reply:

Welcome, I use google, but i suspect alexa is expecting a response from the broadlink, which it'll never get. The rmpro2+ does not do an ack.

What’s an “ack”?

You could try creating a virtual device in Hubitat,

How do I do that?  What kind of a “virtual device?

... then have alexa control that.

How do I set that up?

The virtual device would be tied to a rule ...

How (and where) do I compose that rule?

... that actually carries out the broadlink action. Alexa would get the ack it's looking for from Hubitat's virtual device.

Convoluted, yes, but will work. Try 1 first and see what happens.

I’m willing to try this but, as you can see, unsure of what’s involved and how to accomplish it!  Thanks for your help.

Thanks. I’ve done both.

an acknowledgement of the action being carried out, or an acknowledgement of command received. IR & RF controllers are "dumb"

a virtual device would be what alexa sees, you could name it phillips soundbar. set it up as a switch, check the forums for instructions.

Look into hubitat docs on how to use rule machine. Set the rule so that when your virtual switch is"on", the rule will react and issue the on command to broadlink controller. Check forum for how to use rule machine

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.